The Top 10 Worst Things About Summer

The Top 10 Worst Things About Summer

Beach bummed, am I right, ladies?

826
The Top 10 Worst Things About Summer
The Surfing Photog

Summer is a season beloved by many for its lack of school and warm weather. However, summer lovers tend to forget the awful downsides to this three-month paradise. Here are the top 10 worst things about summer that people like to forget about.

1. Sweat.

I am constantly sweaty all summer, which really does wonders for my acne. Also when I sweat, I turn beet red all over, looking like some sort of turnip human, which of course only adds to the look of professionalism at work. Even the nights are humid and gross, so there is no form of relief except for in the AC.

2. Beach day: sand everywhere.

A day at the beach always leaves you wondering how in the world you got sand there. And there. (And really, even up there?!)

3. Mosquito bites.

In my honest opinion, mosquitos are actually the devil himself, and God's punishment for our sinning mortal souls. These bugs seem to really enjoy slurping some warm blood on summer nights and leaving giant red splotches that itch for days without relief. If you're anything like me, with apparently sugar for blood, you'll be left looking like a leper the whole summer.

4. Another annoying part of a beach day:

Sunscreen reapplication. Sticky, gross streaks of that slimy white sunscreen that never fully rub in really complete the true summer experience. And my poor pale Irish skin needs constant sunblock otherwise.

5. Sunburns for days.

Do you enjoy moving things, i.e. your limbs and other extremities? Well with second-degree sunburns you don't have to! Just sit on your couch for a few days hoping the aloe supply will never run out, and try not to scream when someone accidentally touches your skin. Works like a charm! (Pictured: My best friend.)

6. Watching everyone have fun without you.

Whether you're working or just at home while everyone's traveling Italy and Ireland alike, it sucks to see your friends getting to do cool stuff while you're stuck handling sticky children who smell like farts.

7. The existential dread.

Ah yes, my old friend; that awful feeling that sets in when your summer isn't as productive as you wanted it to be. Possible side effects may include: looking at your calendar and gasping, "It's August already?" sleeping for 13-hours a day, binging Netflix for the remaining 11-hours and counting down the days until your life has meaning again.

8. Ice cream melts 200x faster.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure heat can melt things, which makes the number one treat of the season actually the worst. No amount of tissue paper napkins from Carvel can dry up all the gross dairy running down your arm. Eat ice cream the way it should be: in the winter, while complaining about how cold it makes you.

9. All your college friends live so far away.

You spend the whole summer making plans to visit, and then realize you are broke/busy/tired from working three jobs/realize school is just two-weeks away, so I'll just see you then. LOL.

10. It. Is. So. Hot.

The heat is unbearable. You will recall the winter and think of what a fool you've been for wanting the warm weather. You'll remember trudging in the snow to get to class and think, "That wasn't so bad." You'll think of the holidays and only remember how much you love a white Christmas at Grandma's, not the fact that you almost died getting there from the black ice. Even if you're a person that "doesn't get hot," you will complain about the heat at some point. Because it. Is. So. Hot.