10 Things No One Tells You About Being The Oldest Sibling

You think you're prepared, but then you're not.

255
Jewel Turner

Being the oldest sibling can be both a blessing and a curse. I was an only child for a full seven years of my life, and I was convinced that I would be forever. During my eighth year, however, my first sibling was born. I was so excited to be a big sister (and still am!), but I didn't realize just how much I had coming for me until my fourth and final sibling was born.

1. You become the built-in babysitter

I definitely don't mind watching my siblings every now and then, but this is something that never even crossed my mind until I was old enough to watch them. It's always fun being in charge, especially when you're used to your parents yelling at you for everything. Plus, it gives you a little taste of why you should wait a lot longer to have children.

2. Your parents take it easier on your siblings

It's always frustrating when your siblings get away with things that you definitely didn't. It's also not great when they get things a lot younger than you did, like a cell phone, or the ability to sleep over at a friend's house at a much younger age. You parents are a lot more lenient with them—which you will forever remind them about as it continually happens.

3. Or, your parents become stricter with them

Although it can sound evil, it is actually amusing when your siblings get in trouble for something you know you got away with. Of course, you'll never tell them that though (unless you're *that* kind of older sibling).

4. You're their role model

As dumb as it sounds, the younger siblings look up to you. You're the role model that you never had. They think the world of you, and even though they don't say it (especially as they get older!), they would be lying if they said they didn't.

5. You make decisions based on how it will affect them

This ties in with number four, but it's the truth. Sometimes, before you do anything, you'll think about them and how you would react if they were doing it. If it's an overall negative reaction, then you avoid doing it. Obviously, not every decision is based on them, but they're always in the back of your mind, whether you admit it or not.

6. You become protective of them

It doesn't matter how annoying they are, if someone else is mean to your sibling, you will defend them. It's one of those things where "I can say that, but you can't" comes into play.

7. You're your parents' guinea pig

Your parents take note of how things affect you or how you are in certain situations. If it's negative, then they typically don't put your siblings through the same thing. Also, since you're the oldest, everything's new for them just as much as it is new for you!

8. You make the mistakes for your siblings

Because you're going through major life changes before them, you're bound to make mistakes (they are too!), but you can pass onto them why something didn't work out for you, and tell them how to avoid it. You experience everything first, and you learn from each experience.

9. You watch them grow up right before your eyes

Watching your siblings grow up is actually one of the most terrifying yet amazing things. You're conflicted because you want them to get older and grow, but you also want them to stay your little siblings forever.

10. No matter how much you try to deny it, you love them more than anyone

Your siblings are part of you. You never want any harm to come to them, and you step in harm's way if it does come for them. I love my siblings more than anything, and that will never change, no matter how much we bicker.