10 Surprising Brands That Still Use Animal Testing

So many products are still tested on animals and it's shocking and confusing.

3238

When you're doing your weekly errands, you most likely aren't thinking about animal testing, however, if you're an animal lover or just a decent human, you should be thinking about it. So many products are still tested on animals, some are shocking and confusing. Cruelty free methods exist and are attainable because there are many companies that use them, so there is no excuse anymore. The following are brands, products and companies, some more surprising than others, that are in many people's daily lives and still test on animals.

1. Post-It

Got to do something tomorrow and need to remember? Many people grab a Post-It note and scribble it down, and put it somewhere they'll see it the next day. However you may think twice next time because 3M (the company that makes Post-Its, Scotch Tape and Command hooks) uses animals to test the safety of the adhesive of their products.

2. CoverGirl

CoverGirl is a famous drug store make up brand that millions of people use, however, CoverGirl still uses animals to test their products. Though many people love CoverGirl for its affordability, there are affordable makeup brands that do not test on animals.

3. Pet Food

This is not on the list in regard to taste testing. Many pet food companies, including Iams and Purina, conduct inhumane feeding trials. Though the conditions of these feeding trials have somewhat improved over the years (practices used to involve cutting off back leg muscles and cutting out the vocal chords of the test animals), they still are not humane.

4. Trojan

Yes, you read that right. The famous condom brand tests on animals, in fact, many condom brands do. Though latex condoms are free of any animal by product, that doesn't mean they are not testing their products on animals. (Since safe and consensual sex is very important, a list of cruelty free, vegan condoms can be found here.)

5. Johnson & Johnson

This brand is infamous for being unethical, and testing their products on animals is no exception. Johnson & Johnson is a huge company that owns many familiar household brands/items. This means there are countless innocent animals in lab facilities all over the world going through inhumane tests.

6. "Cruelty Free" brands

This is a bit confusing confusing so bear with me. There are a handful of brands that identify themselves as "cruelty free". This just means that the production that takes place in their facilities is cruelty free. It does not mean that they don't purchase components for their products from outside sources who do participate in non-humane animal practices.

7. Crest

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F09%2F02%2F636084481120379859-540680496_Crest-Logo.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=43&h=ed50b4089ad84fcd65936d31c77b8b16b35b5f2432259397647d555c92252116&size=980x&c=2855561351 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F09%252F02%252F636084481120379859-540680496_Crest-Logo.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D43%26h%3Ded50b4089ad84fcd65936d31c77b8b16b35b5f2432259397647d555c92252116%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2855561351%22%7D" expand=1]

Toothpaste, mouthwash, whitening strips - Crest is a huge dental hygiene brand. But guess what? They too test on animals.

8. Feminine Hygiene Products

There is already so much wrong with this industry... why not add one more thing!? Famous brands such as Always and Kotex use animal testing in the production of their pads and tampons. But good news for people with periods because there are many cruelty free feminine hygiene brands that are easily accessible. Seventh Generation, The Honest Company, and even CVS brand tampons and pads are all cruelty free!

9. Clorox

America's favorite and most popular bleach, Clorox, also unfortunately tests on animals.

10. Mars

The candy company responsible for M&Ms, Twix, Snickers and more favorites practices animal testing where they force feed rats and mice the chocolate and then cut open their legs to observe the effects the chocolate had on their veins.