10 Things To Do Instead Of Partying This Summer

Skip the darty, and take a quiet day at the beach.

27
Very Well

The first weekend you're back home from college, your mind automatically starts to remember what you did on weekends at school: party, party, and party. Instead, now you are sitting on the couch watching a kid's movie with your family. You realize that your hometown is actually a high school town and that you can either go to the bars with your friends or you can have a house party in your basement with like 20 people...neither of which remotely correlate to the experience and fun of a frat party. So, to combat the FOMO of your friends living it up at their beach houses throwing parties every night, here is a list of 10 fulfilling things you can do instead of trying to scramble to the local bar to try and get a few shots in.

1. Get a job

It'll keep you busy, give you some life skills, and some cash to blow when you get back to school. Most college kids get an internship at some point, but even if it's working at your local Dunkin or Starbucks, it's a paycheck and some skills to put on your resume.

2. Volunteer

If you have a job or don't, finding a local organization you can volunteer for is an amazing opportunity and allows you to gain experience and do something you're passionate about. It also always feels good to give back and once again if you're looking for the benefit of your resume, you can put that you volunteer for however many hours during the summer.

3. Knock off books or movies you've been meaning to watch

Find a nice spot around town or in your house and knock off some books and/or movies you've been writing in a note on your phone. I don't recommend that you find this spot in your bed, it turns into nap central believe me. Anyways, that reading you never had time for in college because you have texts to read before class, well now you have time, so use it to enjoy some free reading you've been looking forward to.

4. See friends from high school

You're only back from school for a few months, and so are your friends that you had for about 12 years... Make the most of it and put action behind those texts of "I miss you" and "We need to hang as soon as we get home." You will regret losing decade-long friendships because you never made the effort to see them.

5. Hang out with your family

Yes, they annoy you and have since you stepped foot back in your house, but they are your family. Your younger siblings will especially appreciate the extra effort to spend time with them while you're home for 2-3 consecutive months. *shock* You will find that your relationships with family members will change and mature since you've been away and will continue to as you grow and become more of an adult throughout college.

6. Get into a workout routine

You don't have the college gym 3 minutes from your dorm room anymore. So don't let the good habits you have worked so hard for, or want to start developing, fall to the wayside because you were lazy and didn't take the time to continue taking care of yourself while home for the summer.

7. Teach yourself how to eat healthy

You only have access to your family, the kitchen, and time during the summer, so retrain your body to enjoy and focus on healthy foods instead of drunk snacks or late night runs to get fried food. It will help your brain get used to it, and the change you'll feel in your body is amazing. If you work all summer to find a way to eat healthily during the summer, by the time you return to campus you will be setting yourself up to find good choices there and avoid eating oily foods that are set up for success.

8. Go to the ocean or pool for a day

While you may be missing the Saturday darty in town, a day spent at the ocean or pool is never regretted during the summer... unless you forget the sunscreen! Soak in some vitamin D instead of chugging in the booze, your body will thank you.

9. Figure out what you want

From what you want for breakfast to what you want to do with you life, the down time of summer allows you to reflect on some of the bigger pictures ahead of you. College is filled with the regular grind of work, going out, friends, drama, Netflix, etc. So take the time off to see where you're at, if you're happy, and where you wanna go.

10. Rest & Heal

Sleep deprivation has INSANELY negative impacts on your long-term health. Instead of staying out til 4 a.m. get some sleep and let your body recover from the trauma it endured during the year at college from less sleep, to constant walking, to the drinking, to the poor food choices your school may offer, it all takes a toll so regain your health and rest this summer.