10 Struggles of the Only Child

10 Struggles of the Only Child

"Do you have any sibl-" "No"

9
10 Struggles of the Only Child
Independent

Being an only child in this generation is rare and invigorating. As an only child you have your entire family line sitting on your shoulders asking you to make the family proud, to go out and be that star your parents know you are. Now twenty years later the only thing they do is look at me funny because I ran out of excuses for who broke the lamp. There are positive's and negative's to having a short line of kin and here are just a few of them.

1) "You're an only child" conversation

Just about once every single day of my life someone expresses to me this deep concern of how I missed out on a childhood because I was all by my lonesome self. Listen here, if I had a dollar for every time I had this conversation I could pay for college no problem.

2) Naturally hating people

It is a natural instinct for me to be in a room of great friends yet, want to sit by myself in a corner. I'm fine, really. Please leave me alone.

3) Getting spoiled

I'm not saying my parents bought me everything I wanted for Christmas, I'm saying Santa did.

4) Taking responsibility

News flash to those of you with siblings, if an only child with no family pets knocks over a lamp and breaks it who do you think we are going to blame? As a grown up now I can now confidently take responsibility in saying I did not knock over that lamp.

5) Playing with yourself

Im referring to my Barbie sleepovers.

6) Whose job is it anyway

Being the only customer of the Bank of Daddy was great, I did not have a job until I was over 18 years old. At that point they expect you to be an adult and when you tell them you don't know what a W2 is they look at you stupid.

7) Peace and Quite

Having unlimited personal space is absolutely amazing. If someone talks around me while I'm trying to think my immediate reaction is to kick them in the face because really, they just scared me.

8) Having to share nothing

Don't touch it, look at it, or even think about it because it's mine. Always. Always mine.

9) Maturing faster

When you have no one else to swim with, doodle with, or gossip about your second grade class with, you just kind of get over it.

10) Always kinda wanting a sibling

just to blame for breaking the lamp and then getting rid of them.