10 Steps To Finding Your Way Within Your New College Club

A how-to guide for navigating the best experience of your life.

116
ASI Club Services

You did it! You've found in yourself the courage to break some ice and join a campus club/organization. However, now you are lost and unsure what your next step is. Fellow members who've been doing this for a couple years now say, "You will be fine", and, "Just make sure to follow my lead." But you have your doubts and still feel uneasy. This is so common for new members of a club, because you naturally feel like the outsider. I myself have been in this scenario several times in my college career. Heck, I am actually in this particular scenario right now.

What I can offer you is this—A list of the 10 steps I have found useful for myself and several others as they have tried to find their way within their new club:

1. Do some research

Back when I was a Freshman, I joined an Orchestra club since I had played Cello for 10 years prior to that. It was only after I attended the first meeting did I learn that it was actually a club that solely listened to Orchestral pieces and did not actually play. *Facepalm*

It is extremely important to be sure you know what you will be doing with this club. This is one way to prevent disappointment later on. If there is a informational meeting or newsletter sent out, read it. Know the in's and out's of the club, maybe even some history of it if you are really up to it.

2. Read the mission statement

Most, if not all, clubs/organizations will have them. Know what your club stands for. Know what their purpose is.

For example, THON's mission statement reads:

THON is a student-run philanthropy committed to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer. Our mission is to provide emotional and financial support, spread awareness and ensure funding for critical research all in pursuit of a cure.

What does that mean to you? How do you plan on fulfilling the mission statement?

3. Make personal goals

After reading the mission statement and attending open house meetings, ask yourself why you joined and what you want to make out of this experience. Set goals for yourself that you would like to achieve this school year. Whether it be to gain a position on the board or just to make more friends, setting goals is a good way of measuring your progress.

4. Step out of your comfort zone

A big part of college is trying new things and becoming more experienced. You may not be the most social person, but what about giving it a try? Never had a leadership position? Go for it! This is your chance to experience new things. In the end, you will broaden your horizons and become more well-rounded.

5. Be yourself

This kind of contradicts what I just said, but bear with me. It's one thing to try and put yourself out there—it's another to be someone you are not. Steps 4 and 5 are kind of a balancing act. Staying true to who you are is so important, and I cannot stress this enough. I have met many people in college that I could immediately tell were putting on an act to impress others.

All I can say to those people is: This isn't high school anymore. The "cool" factor has gone out the window. The only thing that I have found that truly matters to your college peers is your merits and your personality. Stay true to yourself and people in your club will respect you for who you are. Trust me.

6. Make friends/network

Making friends in your club is another key step in this process. Not only will it benefit you from a social stance, but it also may come in handy once the club hits the group running and you feel left in the dust. People in your committee or specific branch are your #1 priority. It is vital to be on good terms with these people because they will have your back and you can work with each other for the benefit of the club. Suppose you volunteer to go tabling for your org; wouldn't it be nice to be friends with the person you will be next to for a couple hours?

Also on this step is networking yourself because this may set you up for success in the future. Make sure people know who you are and what you do. Who knows, you may be able to get on a first name basis with a big name on the campus. Making these connections could be helpful when you are looking for a job sometime after graduating. Is that enticing enough for you yet?

7. Attend as many meetings/events as possible

For some roles in the club/org world, attendance will be mandatory. This is especially true if you hold a position such as Finance Chair or PR Rep. In that case, step seven may be your most relevant step. Take a word of advice, it is NOT a good idea to get on the leader's bad side. Mark it in your planner when all meetings and events are, and show up ready to help.

Besides the threat of being kicked out of your club, it will also benefit you to attend all these meetings and events. It helps you stay in the loop and be up-to-date on what the latest buzz is within the org. You will be THAT guy/gal that's always in the know and people come to for information. *hint hint, step six could be relevant here*

Frequent attendance is also a way to guarantee fun! So many events in clubs are what memories are made of. I remember planning an event for my org a couple years back and everyone who attended said it was the most fun they have had all semester. At meetings, don't be surprised if someone brings in cookies or pizza! So if your cash supply is running low, this may be a way to save a few bucks here and there.

8. Time management

Tying in with step seven, you will never be able to maximize your attendance of all these festivities if you can't find the time to fit them into your busy schedule. I mean, let's be real here, do professor's realize we have social lives too? Getting back on track, a planner may be your new best friend.

For every aspect of college, planning it all out may be your key to success. Make time for homework and make sure you are staying on top of things. If you have a big event this weekend but you also have a mid-term on Monday, maybe it will be in your best interest to start studying much earlier so they do not clash. Each and every student is probably in the same boat you are in. It is doable, I promise.

9. Ask yourself how you can improve

In my org last year, we would go over personal goals and ways to improve on a weekly basis. This was helpful in making sure we met our end goal. I would highly recommend this to you as well. Suppose you didn't manage your time that well this week. Well, try to improve on that next week. Maybe you saw a kid in the corner who didn't get to partner up with anyone when it came time to decorate cards for soldiers. Ask that kid to join your group next week. Everyone can improve with something. No one is perfect. It will benefit you and the club as a whole.

10. HAVE FUN!!!!

I hope by now I haven't scared you away from doing this. I pray you haven't already reverted to wrapping yourself in a Snuggie and binge-watching Netflix. The most important word of advice I can give you is to relax and have fun. I promise you this.

These are the best 4+ years of your life so be sure to make the most of them! You joined this club so that you don't just go to class and study. You want to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Have fun with it. Make it your own. Have the time of your life and don't let anyone take that away from you.