The 10 Stages Of Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

Mission briefings, panic and terror, determination, and victory: it's like an action movie, but with a credit card.

18
Andi_Graf

1. The pre-trip planning and budgeting.

In this stage, you figure out who is driving what car, what stores you are going to, how much money you can spend, who is getting what, and what to do if someone's card declines.

2. The always-dreaded parking predicament.

It's like the Hunger Games of parking spaces. Between all of the cars and the people walking around, parking lots are terrifying to maneuver. So when you see a spot, you'd better fight for it.

3. The initial panic when you see how many people are in the store.

Families everywhere, kids crying, people taking up space in the aisles, and long lines at the registers... yeah, it's enough to make us all want to scream.

4. The single-minded focus stage.

You know exactly what you need for who, and where to get it. You're squeezing through people and aisles, determination and motivation on your side.

5. Getting distracted every five steps by something else.

Gone is the single-minded focus that you had. Now, impulse shopping is kicking in. Maybe Aunt Sheryl will like this candle? Or Grandpa might like this decorative plate set. Oh, your best friend will definitely like that poop-emoji coffee mug.

6. That intense stare down you have with at least one other shopper when they're holding something that you want.

You had your sights set on that gift set from halfway across the store. You could already see the look of joy on your friend's face as she opened it on Christmas Day. You've already planned it into your budget and you know what wrapping paper you're going to use. But, just kidding, that lady in the ugly sweater just grabbed it. Fight mode: activated.

7. The steadily increasing anxiety as the shopping trip gets longer and longer.

You still can't find Uncle Travis' gift. No matter how hard you try, your mom keeps getting distracted by something else. The lines at the checkout are just getting longer and longer. This. Is. Madness.

8. Moments of absolute panic when you get separated from your shopping partners.

You don't know how it happened, but they were there, and now they're not. You may be an adult, or close to it, but you still feel panicked when you can't find your mom in the crowd.

9. That stabbing pain as the total price at the checkout continues to rise.

And you know what makes it even worse? You know that you're doing it to yourself. Take that pain like a champ, you amazing gift-giver. You can cry when you have to pay the credit card bill in a few weeks.

10. The feeling of complete confidence and freedom when you're finally done.

A gift for everyone? Check. No one was lost or injured (too badly)? Check. You found your car in the parking lot? Check. Congratulations: you've survived another year of last-minute Christmas shopping.