10 songs that taught us more about unwavering self-love

What successful musicians say about loving yourself first!

6833
Etsy

1. Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing)

Lauryn Hill, lead singer of the Fugees and authentic R&B star of the late 90s, speaks on awareness of sexual agenda in the context of relationships in one of her hit songs, Doo Wop (That Thing) from her album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998). One of the best things about this song is that she addresses the need to be aware of ill-rooted relationships on both sides of the spectrum - for men and women. For example, she states: "Guys you know you better watch out. Some girls, some girls are only about that thing, that thing, that thing" while also stating: "Girls you know you better watch out. Some guys, some guys are only about that thing, that thing, that thing."

Lauryn stresses the importance of self-love and self-actualization with one of the most popular and quoted lines in the R&B world: "how you gon' win when you ain't right within?" As an avid supporter of the 90s R&B music scene, I really wish more women could convey some of the messages that Lauryn did with Doo Wop (That Thing).

2. Jessie J - Masterpiece

One of the most genuine and passionate R&B/Pop singers of the 2010s, Jessie J, dazzled me with her hit Masterpiece from the album Sweet Talker (2014). Whether celebrated as a breakup ballad or girl power anthem Masterpiece helps women realize that it is okay to love yourself through imperfections and shortcomings. Jessie J exudes an unapologetic attitude of self-love in her music and her music videos and she has helped so many people - men and women - learn to be free from scrutiny and unrealistically heightened expectations within perfection ideals. As an artist Jessie J expresses that yes there is pressure to be liked and to be successful, but self-love should always come first!

3. Kendrick lamar - i

Compton's own, Kendrick Lamar, showcases a genius use of symbolism in his song "i". In the start of the song lyrics say: "I done been through a whole lot, trial, tribulation but I know God. Satan wanna put me in a bowtie. Pray that the holy water don't go dry." Lamar goes onto the well-known chorus "I love myself" throughout the song and brings a funky vibe and cool feel to the rap industry. There is not a single rapper out right now that can push self-love as well as Kendrick has through his music. Kendrick's lyrics in "i" easily top the rap industry in symbolism and deeper meaning. The rap industry today probably wouldn't have such a bad reputation if there were more rappers like Kendrick in the game.

4. Haille Steinfeld - Love Myself

Nineteen-year-old Pitch Perfect 2 star, Hailee Steinfeld, found the balance between perfect girl power song and upbeat pop hit receiving radio play. Steinfeld, who is fairly new to the music industry, used her fame in Pitch Perfect 2 to solidify her confidence as a pop artist with more than enough vocal ability. This upbeat song, "Love Myself" is good enough to get any music fan, man or woman, young or old, moving and it is definitely catchy as well. Steinfeld found a good balance in meaningful lyrics and catchy pop beat with this song as she encourages a whole lot of self-love and girl power!

5. Pink - F*ckin perfect

Pop rock star Pink completely killed it in 2011 with her empowering song, F*ckin' Perfect, which boasted a great story and deep, touching lyrics. Pink helps women live happy, complete and encouraged lives with her unapologetic music. She shows us all how to never apologize for being ourselves and does so with a lot of sass, passion and raw vocal talent. Whether it's 2011 or 2016, F*ckin' Perfect helps so many people ditch the idea that they have to be perfect in a never enough society. Beauty and value standards are not restricted to the Kendall Jenners and Cara Delevignes. Being "f*ckin' perfect" can look many ways.

6. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger

American Idol superstar, Kelly Clarkson, took us all by storm with "Stronger" in 2011. Breathtaking powerhouse vocalist, Clarkson is about as girl power as it gets. She combines significant lyrics with upbeat pop rock inflections to get any vengeful workout going right. Kelly created the perfect breakup song for girls that have luckily escaped some low life boyfriend's plight. She chants, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Stand a little taller. Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone."

7. Pink - Just Like Fire

The sassy pop rock queen herself was at it again with her single "Just Like Fire" which topped charts and received endless radio play this year. "Just Like Fire" is from the Alice Through the Looking Glass soundtrack and has a fun, free-spirited nature to it. Having such an empowering, light-hearted song going viral on the radio is really encouraging to know sense many kids and tweens are listening to hip-hop radio stations and acting grown already. Pink in "Just Like Fire" shows a really great example for young girls to be strong, smart and independent.

8. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful

"Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera (2002) was released almost a decade and a half ago; however, it still shows true vocal talent, meaning and prevalence in the realm of empowering girl power songs. Young Christina, a very alternative, grungy-styled vocal powerhouse really touched so many with this song in the early 2000s. Her singing is simply potent and strong. This song taught so many to believe that they are beautiful no matter what.

9. Jessie J - Who You Are

Pop powerhouse vocalist, Jessie J, was at it again with this song from her 2011 album "Who You Are". Beginning with subtle vocals and lyrics: "I stare at my reflection in the mirror. Why am I doing this to myself? Losing my mind on a tiny error. I nearly left the real me on the shelf." Jessie J describes much of the identity crisis that is fame in her powerful vocals and lyrics. This song really succeeded in telling all girls - and guys - that there is nothing wrong with who they are.

10. Beyonce - Flawless

Queen Bey strikes again with the culturally-inclined "Flawless" featuring Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. From her fifth album "Beyoncé" (2013), "Flawless" is the ultimate girl power anthem to get dressed to on a Saturday night. This song does not only represent its sassy, girl power origins - as Queen Bey does so well. It also addresses the new definition of what many may think feminism is. Overall, "Flawless" empowers women to desire to love their true selves without having to look like someone else.

From Your Site Articles