10 Songs Every College Student Needs to Body Roll Out Of Bed

When an alarm just isn't enough.

277

There’s a reason “the struggle is real” is a saying that has taken over the world. Because THE STRUGGLE IS FREAKING REAL. I don’t know about you guys, but when that alarm goes off every morning, I sit in my bed contemplating if this degree is worth it. In my earlier college years, I only had a difficult time getting out of bed for my 8AM classes but now that I am in my last semester and the light is so close I gotta put shades on, everything is a struggle. Literally. Everything. Folding my laundry. Struggle. Cooking myself an actual dinner. Struggle. Finding my will to live. Struggle. But perhaps the greatest struggle of all is waking up for my 8AM class three times a week. And because I don’t like coffee, energy drinks, or cocaine, I had to find a way to wake myself up in the morning. So, I turned to my first love, music. (Sorry to my bf Dylan, I still love you). I keep my speaker right next to my bed and as soon as my alarm goes off, I groan loudly, roll over, and plug my phone into my speaker. I have a special “Get Yo Ass Outta Bed” playlist with songs that get my blood pumping, my body shaking, and my mind ready to take on the day.

If you’re like me and simple everyday tasks like waking up makes you feel like Eeyore, here’s 10 songs from my personal pick me up playlist to help you body roll your way out of bed and tackle this thing we call college.

1) Fuck with Myself by BANKS

If you’ve never heard of BANKS, SHAME ON YOU. Ok maybe not “shame” but seriously, you’re missing out. She is an ethereal groovy goddess divine and her music is phenomenal. This song will get you feeling yourself like no other and make you feel like the badass you are. Perfect for kicking ass on test day.

2) Shape of You by Ed Sheeran

If you know me, it is no surprise that Ed Sheeran is somewhere on this list. It was so hard to choose just one but, ultimately, I went with one of his new singles. If you look up “catchy” in the dictionary, this beautiful, sweet ginger baby’s tune will be there. The beat and chorus are infectious and once you hear it, you’ll be up and at ‘em quicker than you can say “Omg Ed Sheeran’s new album is out March 3, 2017!”

3) Fashion! by Lady Gaga

Do you have a big presentation today? Are you finally wearing that outfit you’ve been planning for weeks? Do you need someone to tell you how fabulous you are before you head to class? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this is the morning song for you. The first fun, flirty chords of this absolute jam will hit your ears and you’ll be strutting to class like there’s no tomorrow, with Lady Gaga’s words, “Look at me now, I feel on top of the world”, fueling your fire.

4) Get Right by Jennifer Lopez

Set this as your alarm and I promise you will bolt right up and not be able to fall back asleep. This classic J-Lo dance anthem wastes no time getting started with fast, funky beats that blare through your speakers with as much energy as you wish you had. Get your mind right with Jenny from the Block’s cheering you on and lifting you up. Get right and start your day with Ms. Lopez.

5) Stronger by Kanye West

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Young, fledgling Yeezus gifted us with this inspirational, hype song and anytime we need reminding, he is right there to tell us “That that don’t kill me can only make me stronger.” I know that huge project seems like the end of the world. And that test you spent hours studying for feels like it will be the death of you. But it’ll only make you smarter, better, faster, stronger. Push play on this on the morning of those hurdles and let Kanye help you leap over them.

6) I Can't Stop by Flux Pavilion

The relentless beat of “I Can’t Stop” pulses through you so hard and so fast, you will instantly forget what being tired even is. It will have you charging to class declaring, “I Can’t Stop being punctual af!” Or turning it that research paper exclaiming, “I Can’t Stop being brilliant!” Or finishing that bio midterm proclaiming, “I Can’t Stop crushing it!” Whenever I wake up to this song, you know what I Can’t Stop doing? BODY ROLLING.

7) Don't Matter by Kings of Leon

Sometimes we have to say IDGAF. We all get in those moods where we are tired of the same old routine and the same old drama and we just have to say do whatever you want, it Don’t Matter to me. If you’re having one of those weeks, let Kings of Leon egg you on with their pissed off, not-a-care-in-the-world banger.

8) Bounce Back by Big Sean

This is the BEST song to put on after a bad, stressful night. I don’t want to spoil it for you if you’ve never heard it but the whole song is basically about springing back into action after you’ve taken a tough blow. It’s all about regaining your confidence and showing the world that you are a certified B.A.M.F. (Bad Ass Mother Fucker). Literally one of the lyrics is “I woke up in Beast Mode”. How perfect is that? Put on this jam and let Big Sean wake you up in Beast Mode.

9) Down by Marian Hill

This song is a real gem. Just when you think it is just a nice, simple piano ballad it flips the switch and turns into a shimmy and sway techno dream. Turn this on if you need a slow build to wake you up. It will slowly carry you away on a cloud of content but when that beat drops, it will send you free falling out of bed and into the best dance party of your life.

10) Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Had to end the list with one of my all-time faves. Not only is this arguably one of the greatest songs ever, it also is so fun to wake up to. I have never met someone who can’t help but dance when Marvin Gaye starts crooning. Waking up to this song makes me feel like there ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no group member lazy enough, ain’t no computer slow enough that can put a damper on my spirit.

Go forth, my children, and body roll into a brighter tomorrow.

Honorable Mentions: Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, American Girl by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Upgrade U by Beyoncé , Telepathy by Christina Aguilera and Nile Rodgers, Bullet with Butterfly Wings by The Smashing Pumpkins, Burning Up by The Jonas Brothers, Girls @ by Joey Purp feat. Chance the Rapper, Fergalicious by Fergie, Do What You Want by Ok Go.