10 Signs You're No Longer A Child Anymore

Welcome to the real world kiddos.

869

It all hits us one day. The realization that our childhood has officially left us and that we are now a contributing part of society that demands we take responsibility for ourselves, and sometimes others. Where we all can still hold onto that child at heart, the harsh reality that we can no longer run away from our troubles or find the same carefree joy in all the things we loved as kids is glaring. If you've ever had any of these experiences, you may be growing up.

1. Eating in becomes more attractive than spending money to go out.

Leftovers? Tupperware? Yes, please. Spending money is L A M E.

2. You don't know what you want for Christmas.

For Christmas 2005, I'm pretty sure I had a thorough list of every doll, accessory, gift card, or DVD I'd want that year at hand whenever anyone asked. Now, when my parents ask me what I want, they can't get a response from me for at least a month. What does that delayed response end up being? Cash. How boring?

3. You are actually excited to go to school.

This usually happens between the transition from high school to college, but even besides the social life and independence you gain when you go to college, realizing your academic passions can be kind of thrilling. Those back to school campaigns don't have to be daunting anymore.

4. Paying your first water or electric bill gives you a sense of pride.

OK, so maybe it's safe to say no one likes spending money on non-fun things like bills, but doing so really is a sign that you've hit a mile stone. You're independent. You're getting life done by having a job or taking responsibility to take care of yourself.

5. You look at the current programming for kids these days and say an expletive to yourself.

I'm sorry, but if you watch anything on current-day Nickelodeon–besides seasons 1 through 4 of Spongebob Squarepants–what are you thinking? Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn? The Thundermans? Don't even get me started on the catastrophe that is the new Disney Channel. Lizzie McGuire called, she wants her time slot back.

6. Finding out that going to Disney World is more chaotic than you remember.

*SIDE NOTE: I am without-a-doubt pro-Disney, pro-Disney parks, etc. Just hear me out.

Nothing sucks more than going to Disney World and seeing the not-so-magical elements that you looked over as a kid. The screaming toddlers, the crowds, the long lines, the hangry parents–they all can take away from you trying to surpass your childhood memories. The fact that you even notice all of this mayhem is a tall tale sign you're getting older.

7. You regret not enjoying nap time in kindergarten.

NEVER underestimate the glory of a power nap. As college and adult-life pile on, it's easy to become envious of a 5-year-old who gets allotted time to chill.

8. You start admitting that your parents know what they are talking about.

Learning from your own mistakes, or seeing how stupid some of your friends can be, can make you look back on the advice your parents have given you in the past. It is definitely a hard pill to swallow to recognize your folks are a bit wiser than you are. You really cannot go on by staying up until 4 a.m. every night, eating greasy food 24/7 or buying something off of Amazon once a week.

9. You hunt for coupons.

BOGO? 20% off? A new Groupon? It's all about finding deals. Never pay full price for anything if you know there's a way to pay less. You may look like a suburban mom, but at least you're saving money and looking smart while you do it.

10. You have caught yourself saying "When I was growing up _____."

You can sound like you're nearing grandpa-status if you have ever uttered any version of this line. This is the ultimate sign that you are for sure not a kid anymore. The next step for you is probably rolling your eyes like Schmidt from New Girl and screaming: YOUTHS!