10 Signs That HQ Trivia Has Taken Over Your Life

HQ isn't just a game, it's a carefully curated lifestyle.

224
YouTube

If you're like me, sometime within the last few months you decided to download HQ Trivia from the App Store on a whim, and found that this was the best thing to happen to your daily routine since you started getting ice cream at Newcomb at lunch. The popularity of HQ has spread like wildfire across Grounds at UVA and across college campuses nationwide, though it has gained a following among all ages. Though it took me a while to convince myself that HQ was a necessary addition to my day, I've quickly become a believer in its addictive, time-sensitive formula. HQ isn't just any game, it's a lifestyle, and you know you're an "HQtie" when you start to notice the following symptoms.

1. You start twitching and getting antsy sometime around 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. every day, but only at 9 p.m. on weekends

There's nothing as anxiety-inducing as knowing that HQ is coming up, and with it your chance of becoming a hundred-aire is fast approaching. But no matter how devoted you are to this game, it's crucial to play it cool and pretend like you're surprised every time you get that push notification of an upcoming game on your phone.

2. The phrase "quemero numero uno" has wormed its way into your daily vernacular

Energetic host Scott Rogowsky seems to have a whole language of his own that includes such iconic phrases as the one above and "let's get down to the nitty-gritty." I enjoy seeing what random non-word/word he'll make up each game, and try as I might, it's almost impossible to avoid using his catchy phrases in my daily life.

3. Whenever you learn a new useless fact, you convince yourself that it'll come in handy in HQ

One of my favorite things about HQ is that it gives me a daily outlet to show off all of the useless, un-academic knowledge I've accumulated over the years. Anything that I can't use when watching Jeopardy, I hope to one day use in a triumphant game of HQ.

4. Anyone you know who has won HQ instantly becomes a celebrity to you

What's great about HQ is how supportive everyone is of their friends winning, and how this game has made the prospect of winning $20 seem like a fortune. I only know of a few people who have won this game, and I try to channel their successes every time I play in the hopes that some of their luck will rub off on me. To date, it hasn't led to a victory, but I'm still hopeful.

5. You've started referring to large sums of money as "2500 Davy Crocketts" (or some similarly ridiculous term) rather than "2500 dollars"

Though I do think that Scott Rogowsky's intro to HQ every day is a little too long, I have grown to enjoy how he gives the $2500 prize a completely ridiculous name every time. I frankly was not previously aware how many ways you could manipulate the word "dollars," but my eyes have now been opened.

6. You block out five minutes from 9:10-9:15 pm every day to pout about the fact that you just got out on question 4

Even though I've come to expect the inevitable pain of defeat from losing HQ every day, it doesn't make it sting any less. It usually takes one, three, maybe even two minutes for me to transition out of HQ-land into a productive mindset once I've been eliminated from the game, but to date I haven't let HQ interfere with my academics.

7. You've contemplated playing HQ during class, even when class doesn't end until 3:15

That said, there have been times when I've been particularly bored and, though I usually don't check my phone during class, have contemplated playing the 3 pm game of HQ. I'm sure my professors would understand if I had to take a few minutes to expand my trivia knowledge, and potentially my bank account.

8. Or, if you're really desperate, you've actually zoned out of class to play HQ, even when class doesn't end until 3:15

However, I can't promise that the day won't come when I feel such a strong, magnetic pull towards the 3 pm game of HQ that I can't bear to pay attention in class any longer. I'm sure plenty of people have done this, and though I haven't attempted to be quite this rebellious, it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

9. The possibility of splitting $2500 with several hundred other people now makes you feel instantly rich

I mentioned this earlier, but I feel that with HQ, it's not as much about the size of the potential prize, but the incredible satisfaction that comes with getting 12 questions right, including several educated guesses. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that fewer and fewer people seem to be winning every game, which either means that the questions are getting harder or people are getting dumber. With that, if I ever win I feel confident that I'd be able to garner at least a $10 prize, enough to treat myself to a celebratory snack immediately following the game.

10. You've personally texted several friends asking if they'll download HQ so you can get an extra life

Pro tip: this doesn't always work, even with the best of friends. Unfortunately, not everyone understands the urgency of HQ and the life-changing nature, literally, of having an extra life to play with. However, if you're really committed to one day winning the game, be persistent, because you just might find that one friend who's nice enough to begrudgingly download the app for five minutes, then instantly delete it, just so you can get an extra life.

I would write more, but it's 2:55 pm on a weekday. And you know what that means. It's almost time for me to abandon all of my imminent responsibilities for 15 minutes and try to win ~$20 by playing HQ.