10 Signs You're A College Urbanite From A Small Town

If you can relate to any of these struggles, you might just be a college urbanite from a small town.

28
Rob Dose

Things have certainly changed since I went off to college and made a home in small but urban Charleston, S.C. For 14 years, I lived in relatively rural Bluffton, S.C. Before that, for my first three years of life, my home was a secluded, one-room, abandoned office building on the marsh on Hilton Head Island, S.C. Until I left for college -- much to my parents' dismay -- I never knew the luxury of being able to walk to coffee shops whenever I wanted, attending pop-up events or living within walking distance of friends at all times. If you can relate to any of these 10 struggles, you might just be an urbanite from a small town, too.

1. Every time you're on an outing with family, you're like, "Where's the nearest Starbucks?"

You must get your grande-iced-coffee-with-three-pumps-of-hazelnut fix. Thanks, college. But why is the nearest Starbucks so far away (you mean I actually have to drive 20 minutes to get there)? That's just not convenient for you. You're used to popping in several times per week because there are at least eight Starbucks locations within one mile of campus.

2. When you go home, you rediscover true boredom.

At least when you're bored in the city, it means you are picking up a RedBox movie and a bottle of wine. When you're bored back in your hometown, it means you're listening to your family bicker about how they don't want to leave the house and that, if they did, there wouldn't be anything worth doing "at that time of day/night."

3. You begin to feel like a lazy slug after day one of being home.

How did you ever live your life just sitting on couches and riding in cars? You have muscles and they're crying for use!

4. You appreciate small businesses, but wish there were more/better ones in your hometown.

You have a few favorites scattered about your hometown, of course, but you have really come to love the variety and quantity of local shops that the city offers.

5. You are reminded each time you visit home, that, to some, wandering the aisles of Wal-Mart is considered a past time.

All Wally Worlds are practically the same. What's the point of driving out to one of the most discouraging destinations in the United States if you don't have a concrete reason for going? The only difference you have noticed between the Wal-Mart back home and the Wal-Mart in your beloved city is that one still sells those sickly Betta fish and the other (for some reason or another) finally stopped perpetuating that sort of horror.

6. You feel disillusioned when your schedule isn't completely full.

Living in the city has made you crave having tasks, being busy and accomplishing things. When you first moved there, it overwhelmed you. Eventually, though, you got used to the speedy pace.

7. You have to try extra hard to make time for the beauty of camping, stargazing and spacious backyards (and that makes it all the more special).

Back home, street lights are few and far between, which makes for ideal stargazing conditions. Your hometown has no shortage of green space for you to peruse. When you lived there, that meant more fresh air and outdoor recreation. The city is great for walking (and you absolutely love it), but sometimes you long for a good romp in a wildflower field.

8. Parking far away from stores no longer bothers you.

But, oh man, does it bother your family! In the city, you walk every. damn. day. Over time, you have built up a commendable endurance. Every time you're with your family back home, you're surprised at just how little they are able to walk without complaining.

9. You wear your "city clothing" back home and you get weird looks.

The bumpkins back home are sweet and you love them more than anything because they're your neighbors and they practically watched you grow up, but they aren't exactly known for their sense of style. In the city, people are completely different. Half the time, you feel like you're competing in a secret, unspoken fashion show (on the days you aren't wearing your comfy workout gear to class). To the surprise of your family, that frilly Forever 21 romper you decided to wear to the movie theater with them is a testament to the gradual urbanization of their precious college kid.

10. Despite all of the downsides to your hometown, you have come to really appreciate the downtime it offers you.

At the end of the day, you can take the kid out of the small town but you can't take the small town out of the kid. Despite your newfound love of living in the city, you have a deep-seated appreciation for quiet drives through back roads, the comfort of simple routines, hiking in deep woods, watching the dog run around the backyard and listening to frogs sing around your house at night.