10 Signs That You Attend School In The AUC

"It starts with you, it starts with me. We all reppin' the AUC"

426

The Atlanta University Center Consortium is the world’s oldest and largest association of historically Black colleges and universities. It is comprised of Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Spelman College. Each institution brings a different perspective on the college experience. Yet, there are so many similarities between each of them. Here are the Top 10:

1. Fried Chicken Wednesday:

Day after day, all students in the AU-Center complain about is how gross the Cafeterias' meals are. The day of the week that everyone looks forward to is Fried Chicken Wednesday because they know they'll be able to get a decent meal.

2. Pageant Season:

There are distinct times in the year when students decide to pop out for certain events. Usually during the beginning of the fall semester and later in the spring semester, pageant season is the time when everyone finds out who will be the next *inserts pageant title here*. They are usually back to back and hard to keep up with.

3. SpelHouse vs Clark "Beef":

If you're in the AUC you more than likely have experienced some shade from someone of another institution. It'll usually go along the lines of, "You don't look like you go there" or vice versa. Although when challenged by other institutions on credibility and opinions, we are one. Don't let the Twitter beef and rivalries fool you.

4. The Promenade:

The Promenade is usually the center point for all three campuses. Whether it be late nights or early mornings, students always visit the promenade as a source for food, recreation, and entertainment.

5. Club Woodi a.k.a. Robert W. Woodruff Library:

Many AUC students frequent the library during midterms and finals. It is said that if you want to get work done you shouldn't hit up Club Woodi during these times because you'll be distracted by your friends and everything else going on. Normally, the library is a ghost town because students are studying elsewhere.

6. Olive Branch:

Olive Branch is another moment when AUC unity is brought into play. It's a day during New Student Orientation for freshmen and transfer students that explains the bond between all three campuses. Students are given a t-shirt provided by the school and are asked to not wear paraphernalia in order to network and build relationships with everyone from whatever school. Similar enough to a block party, Olive Branch is a fun time to get to make life-long friendships between campuses.

7. Chick-Fil-A:

The image above is a rare sighting. Usually the Chick-Fil-A at Morehouse is bustling with many students, especially after social events. On a daily you'll see Spelmanites and Clark women finessing DCBs from Men of Morehouse.

8. Freshmen Stroll and Dorm Rivalries:

Freshman stroll is a major part of the AUC. When we come in during NSO, we are instilled with dorm pride and unity. This sense of unity carries on throughout the year, especially during the stroll off. Morehouse, Clark and Spelman both host one during different times, allowing freshmen halls to showcase their unity and creativity. This is the time to rep your hall.

9. Uber/Lyft Issues

If you are one of the students who brought their car to campus, you're lucky. Many of us often spend a ton of money getting transported to different destinations via Lyft and Uber. Especially on Friday nights and during "surges", when rates are exceptionally high. Yet, it makes the city experience even more real.

10. Swag Surf:

Although you might not dance, the Swag Surf is one that you'll quickly pick up when attending one of the 3 schools in the AUC. Literally, you can't go to any functions without hearing or doing it at least once. This song signifies the unity between all three campuses and reminds us that at the end of the day, we are one.