10 Scary Movies That Will Leave You Feeling Extra Spooked This Fall

I challenge you to conquer these 10 terrifying tales before Halloween. They'll have you feeling more spooky than ever!

35
blog.louielighting.com

Ghouls, goblins, slashers, monsters, clowns, strangers, zombies... The list of fears and scares goes on and on! Horror movies have alway been some of my favorites, and I wanted to make a list of some of my favorites to help you get your spook on this fall! Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I love all of the movies, tricks, treats, haunted houses and costumes that come along with it. If you dare to watch any or all of the movies on my list, you'll be feeling spooky and scared this Halloween without a doubt! Not to worry... No spoilers await you!

1. Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

BOO! Did that make jump? If so, it's probably safe to say that scary movies aren't your favorite. Thanks alright! Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is a great choice to get you in the spooky mood. In fact, it's centered around Halloween and Christmas, so you'll be ready for the entire Holiday Season after watching this spooky Disney feature.

2. "As Above So Below"

Not for the faint of heart... I REPEAT: Not for those who are easily scared! As a horror movie buff myself, I was not prepared for the jumps and sheer terror that this movie provides. If you, like me, have an irrational fear of small, confined spaces and what lies in them, then this movie is not for you. It's probably one of the first scary movies that actually scared me beyond jump scares and a good laugh. If you are ready to feel what the characters in this movie feel, then I challenge you to watch "As Above So Below" this Halloween season.

3. "The Exorcist"

"The Exorcist" is undoubtedly one of the very first of its kind. With brand new effects for its time, this movie terrified thousands. It will forever be a classic, and still chills me to the bone! It is a timeless example of horror and fear of the unknown, and I wouldn't be surprised if little Reagan haunts your dreams after watching "The Exorcist." This is definitely a good choice for a date night this fall!

4. Deep Blue Sea

I can't deny that B-flick sci-fi movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, but "Deep Blue Sea" is a step above the rest in that category. I remember watching this movie and thinking how awesome and realistic it seemed. I was terrified to swim in a pool after watching this, much less in the open water. It's got lots of great jump-scares, good effects for its time and a great plot. "Deep Blue Sea" is a great replacement if you want to watch something scary outside of the slasher, demonic, killer genre. Just don't close your eyes in the water!

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

"Who will survive and what will be left of them?" Exactly my thoughts when watching "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." This movie redefined the horror genre, and it leaves no aspect of "scary movie" behind. The fact that it's a true story makes it even more terrifying. The portrayal of "Leatherface" as the killer you should feel sorry for adds to his level of creepy. Even the remakes and sequels of this classic are pretty scary. This is a must see this Halloween season, and I promise you won't be disappointed!

6. Stephen King's "It"

Many people suffer from the fear of clowns. If you consider yourself one of those people, avoid this movie at all costs. Stephen King's "It" was actually released as a two part special on television, and it is absolutely every bit as terrifying as the movie poster shows. Stephen King has been known for years as one of the "masters of horror", and he went above and beyond when creating this piece. "It" goes beyond the fear itself and explores what fear does to its victims. If you want a psychological thriller with a gut-wrenching plot, then this is the scare for you!

7. The Silence of the Lambs

Speaking of psychological thrillers, "The Silence of the Lambs" will forever be one of the greatest movies of all time. With stellar performances from Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, this thriller will have you biting your nails on the edge of your seat. It leaves little to the imagination with its raw, unrivaled attention to detail. Be sure to pay close attention during this one, you won't want to miss any of the details. It will leave you feeling anything but silent.

8. Scream

"Scream" will forever hold a special place in my heart as the horror movie that sparked my obsession. I remember being terrified and having to check my closet and under my bed for weeks after watching this movie. It's action packed, full of jump-scares and has a great plot. With an all-star cast, this slasher flick will leave you feeling jumpy for sure. This movie has done so well, that it sparked the creation of 3 sequels. That's right! There are four movies in this tetralogy, and each are action packed. If you watch any movies on my list, I hope you choose this one and its sequels. MTV's series "Scream" is also a spin-off of this sequel and is a great option this Halloween, too.

9. The Strangers

There's something to be said about killers like the ones in "The Strangers." This movie is beyond terrifying because it seems too real to be true. The opening credits reveal that the story is based on true events, which makes it even more difficult to swallow. Throughout this movie, you will find yourself cheering for the young couple, wishing that they'll make it alive through the night. I guess you'll have to watch to find out. Check out "The Strangers" this season, but only if you don't mind that "someone's watching me" feeling!

10. Halloween

Of course, I had to leave the most obvious choice for last. "Halloween" is one of the scariest, most well-known horror series out there. It's all about terror, action and has a killer plot - literally. This movie preceded several sequels and even remakes, which can stand on their own in quality. It redefined horror of its time, and Jamie Lee Curtis became known as a leading "scream queen." You can see Curtis in one of my current favorite TV series, "Scream Queens", which is another great option for you to tune into this spooky season. You can find most of these movies can be found on Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo or your local Redbox station. I hope that you take a chance to be wowed by some of the movies on my list. Special thanks to http://www.impawards.com/ for all of the movie posters! Happy Haunting!