My (Upcoming) Roaring 20's

My (Upcoming) Roaring 20's

10 things I plan to work on in this new decade of my life.

68
My (Upcoming) Roaring 20's

In the past few years, I've become more aware of the role that convenience plays in our lives. For the most part, convenience is our friend; we have access to calling, googling, or taking a picture at the touch of a screen. On the other hand, we're less likely to care or even notice the potential dangers of this. It's almost as if each of us was born with an iPhone or tablet stuck to our hand, and we have no idea of how to remove it.

The truth is, most of us haven't experienced life before these addicting devices. I for one remember having a cell phone free childhood, spending the days outdoors with the other kids in my neighborhood. I also believe that my generation may have been the last to really enjoy this kind of thing. I have devoted most of my life to my phone. Sound crazy? Think of it, you probably have too. There was a time when I based my identity off of how many likes I got on Instagram, or how many people viewed my Snapchat story. Before asking myself- Do people actually care to see what I'm doing at all times? Have they forgotten what my face looks like? The answer to both is simple, no.

I turn 20 this week, and I want to start this new decade of my life almost free of conveniences and vices. I want this to be the start of me breaking any negative habits, and for the sake of our future… I hope maybe you'll join me. The way we young adults think and act has gone down the drain (for the most part). I absolutely believe this is because of how much time we spend on our phones and in our own heads. Here are 10 "rules" that I'm going to (try to) implement in my life every day.

1. Set Phone Limits

Only checking social media once a day (that's all you need!), and going for a few hours at a time with it on silent. Your phone is a want, NOT a need.

2. Stop Using Drive-Thrus As a Way to Escape Social Anxiety

Yes, you feel safe ordering from your car. But go inside, feel uncomfortable for a bit, and observe your surroundings! You'll be surprised at what (or who) you may find.

3. Practice Meditating

Stress is always going to be a factor in your life, but you don't need to let it win. Take a few minutes each day to breathe, relax, and clear your mind.

4. Watch What You Put In Your Body

Cooking can be tiring, and buying healthy food becomes expensive. But think of the benefits! You only have one body, nourish and take care of it.

5. Enjoy Face to Face Conversation

Less texting. Less social media conversation. This will always be so important.

6. Lifting Others Up Instead of Tearing Them Down

Stop letting that little voice allow you to pass judgment on others. Especially if they are thriving and that makes you feel a bit unsure about yourself. Lift Lift Lift. That little voice is an impulsive human response, fight against it.

7. Read More Books, Binge-Watch Less

Yes, you have become the master of binge watching… and NO, you do not need to re-watch the Office for the 20th time. While a cool skill to have, it's not going to be useful… ever. Read more books!! You have a whole bookshelf with books that contain new worlds of knowledge and ideas waiting for you to explore.

8. Listen, Observe, and Ask

Enjoy the simplicity of this, observe everything. People, things, environments. Then ask questions! Ask away, be so excited to ask questions about individuals. People will surprise you, always.

9. Continue to Practice Self-Love

Self-acceptance is such a long road but will be so rewarding in the end. Enjoy alone time. Enjoy feeling comfortable in your own skin. Show the world how much you love your own being, and the world will love you back.

10. Eventually Get Rid of All (Personal) Social Media

Yes, social media will be needed for business ventures. But other than that, I don't care too much to continue the rest of my life on social media. To one day live freely without any of it is the ultimate goal.

You have too many grand things planned that will be shared with close loved ones and yourself, things far too grand to be summed up in a Facebook post. 20, bring it on.