10 Reasons Your Sorority Family Is Like Your Real Family

Lets be real, your big deserves an award.

33
Giana Asterito

One of the best parts of Greek life in my opinion is the “big / little” aspect, along with the line of family that accumulates over the years during college. If you’re lucky like I am, then you and your sorority family become super close, just like a real family.

1. They know all of your secrets and never judge you.

You may or may not have spent the night with that guy you said you weren't going to, drank too much, ate everything you said you weren't going to, along with a whole mess of things...but it's nothing your family doesn't expect. They know you well enough now, and never judge you for going back on your word because let's be real, they already knew you were going to.

2. They would drop anything to help you and always have your back.

They're the first ones you call when you're in trouble. Either you just need a lift somewhere or you're over the toilet after too much to drink, they're always there with a trashcan, bread and their phones -- to take embarrassing pictures of you and embarrass you later. No matter what, they're always there no matter how stupid or hectic the situation may be.

3. There’s never a dull moment when you’re together.

You're total weirdos when you're together and definitely an annoying crowd of people to anyone surrounding you because no one's having as much fun as you are. But who cares? You never notice how obnoxious you all are together anyways considering you're having too great of a time.

4. Your big has done more for you than anyone.

This might go for just me, but I put my big through the ringer. She's done more for me than anyone and for that she definitely deserves an award. But with that, she's earned so much respect and love from me because I know as crazy as I may make her that she still loves me unconditionally; and that's exactly how it's supposed to be. Like family, she's someone I can depend on any hour of the day any day of the week. (again, sorry for calling you at 8 a.m. to come pick me up across campus, you rock.)

5. Having a little is actually like having a little sister/child.

I was someone who struggled with the idea of having a little just because I liked being the baby (spoiled) but once I met mine, that idea went right out the window. It's actually an awesome experience where you get to take someone under your wing and watch over them and help guide them in all aspects of their lives. My little isn't just my little sister, she became my best friend and someone who is a crucial part of my life and I can no longer imagine my life without her.

6. You spend every moment you can together.

You'll hit them up for a quick Chipotle Mexican Grill trip, to drive around and listen to fall out boy on a horrible day, to watch the bachelor, get your nails done, maybe to even study or basically anything to spend every window of your time together. Because everything's just more fun when they're around.

7. They spoil you.

Let's just say big/little week is one of the best weeks.

8. They’ve seen every side of you and still love you.

They've seen you happy, ugly crying after a heart break, a little more intoxicated than you should be, sleep deprived during finals week, etc., but still love you and always have a solution to whichever emotion your feeling. Sad? Domino's Pizza is on the way.

9. You have inside jokes no one else understands.

You're constantly dying laughing when you're all together, but no one ever understands because you have about a million inside jokes between just you and your family. And you wouldn't have it any other way. "What does RBA mean?"

10. You have a bond that can never be broken.

When you rush and get into your family, you're limited with time when it comes to the older women within your line, but that didn't stop all of us from becoming inseparable In just a little under two years my sorority family became the closest thing to a real family away from home. We've learned from each other, bickered over stupid things, but most importantly loved each other unconditionally. I know that no matter how many years pass and wherever we go, I will always be able to reach out to them. It warms my heart to know they'll always be there, and that an elephant will always stand for more than just an animal to me.

Being close with your little, big, grand big, great grand big, etc. is a special kind of friendship. For those that don’t get to experience it don’t understand, but these people help shape that you are/who you become throughout college. The moment they take you under their wing you’re never alone. You’ve now earned a lot more support and love; don’t take these years for granted.

I love you guys, thanks for everything.