11 Ways Writing Has Shaped Me Into The Person I Am Today

Through writing, I have truly changed as a person in a way I will forever be grateful for.

Ever since I started writing for Odyssey, I have been asked nearly a million times why I write. The answer I typically give is just “I love to write, so I do it for fun.”

Well, a lot of the time people don’t take that and want more of a reason. Writing, for me, is not only fun, but it is also a therapeutic outlet for me and is something that makes me feel safe (and sane).

1. I tell a story that, if done well, will resonate with many of the other people who read it.

Nothing feels better than knowing you made someone know that they are not alone. You never know what you’re writing could do for someone.

2. My writing that I keep private is a way for me to let everything out.

This is something that helps me to destress and not have so many worries. Everyone has different ways to cope, and writing just happens to be one of mine.

3. It helps me to become more creative.

Thinking of article ideas every week to produce new content is very challenging, and it is not always easy to do. You have to take time and think about what story you want to tell and how you want to tell it, which is always both exciting and challenging.

4. Having something I love so much be complimented is the best feeling in the world.

Seriously, nothing beats this. I work so hard on every piece of my writing, and when it resonates with people or they just generally compliment it, it makes me feel like all of the hard work I’ve put into it has paid off.

5. I want to make people feel something.

My goal in my writings is to make people feel some sort of way that they didn’t before reading my piece. Whether that feeling is sad, happy or even just them becoming newly informed, I want them to learn and recognize something with every single piece of mine that they read.

6. I’m constantly learning.

I am someone who can’t just stop learning something new. Through my writing, especially my writing through Odyssey, I am always learning something new. Whether it be trying out new writing techniques or learning how to properly edit an article for publishing, it’s something I didn’t know before, and that is so satisfying.

7. To connect with other people.

Some of the people I have met and gotten the opportunity to work with because of this adventure with Odyssey are some of the greatest people I’ve ever met. Not to mention sharing my work and having people engage me with it helps me to meet people who do all sorts of different things, besides writing.

8. Writing is needed for everything you do.

Whether it’s creative writing or writing a simple email, you need to be able to do it. Why not practice?

9. Writing brings opportunity.

When a new writing piece of mine is published, there is no way to tell where it will go from there. You never know who is going to find it.

10. I want to inspire people.

I want to inspire other people to speak out. To share their stories and let their voices be heard. I write in hopes that through my own writing and others' writing, we will change the way people view themselves.

11. Writing is my passion.

Writing makes me feel alive and makes me feel like I’m doing something to help someone. That’s all I want to do and because of writing, I feel as though I am able to do it.

Long story short: through writing, I have truly changed as a person in a way I will forever be grateful for.