10 Reasons Why Having A Dad Who Shows Tough Love Is A Blessing

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

4121

In the middle of the last two weeks of school kicking my butt all I can think about is how much my father has prepared me for all of this. My dad is an amazing father, but needless to say he was never one to sugar coat things. He always expected the best even when I did not know I was capable of it.

1. He raised me to never let lazy be in my vocabulary.

Dad always pushed me to challenge myself, even when it was eleven o'clock at night after spending hours of doing homework he still expected me to load the dishwasher. I was on track of cleaning the whole house from top to bottom by the time I was ten years old because he wanted me to have a hard work ethic starting at a young age. To this day I can't stand dirtiness and that's all thanks to the man whose motto every time we complained about doing work was, "I ain't raising no lazies." If my siblings left trash out or did not put something away he instilled in me to just be the bigger person by cleaning it up and to not fight over it because you are only wasting more time trying to find excuses.

2. He always was very blunt when I got all emotional.

I still remember standing outside of his shop back in High School crying over what I thought at the time was the end of the world. He would always tell me to suck it up, and stop embarrassing not only him, but also myself. He always ignored the pain of my minor meltdowns and tried to remind to me to go straight to the realization of how blessed we are. I got very much out of my feels within a few minutes when I was around him. When life does not go my way and I fail at things he reminds me life is full of failures, so embrace it and move on. It was always this suck it up attitude that made me realize that not every day should be spent crying because life's too short for that.

3. He always expects nothing but the best.

I think a lot of times he expects so much more from me because he knows when I was not trying my best. When it came to school he always pushed for As, but when it comes to college he accepts a few of my Cs as long as he knows I tried everything possible to earn that grade. He always instilled in me that life is about achieving for the best and even if you do not always get what you want at least you know that you strive to accomplish it all. When it came to grades, boys, friends, and just anything in general he always put so much pressure on how his baby girl deserved it all and he never wanted me to settle for anything less.

4. He is always quick to put me in my place. Showing that I will always be the child.

I do not know what it is about teenage girls during these years, but I feel like we just want to be right about everything. As soon as we get that license we think we own the world and all are grown. Daddy dearest was always quick to remind he provided everything for me and I would be nothing without his support. I never appreciated him for all him did for me when I was growing up until I got out on my own. There are still some days I realize I don't ever think I will be a "true adult" like when my car breaks down and I come to realization I will never be too old to call dad for advice.Even if it is just him laughing at me for being an emotional mess and not listening to his advice in the first place. I need the quick reminder that I will always be a child in his eyes.

5. He never spoon feed things in life, even if that I meant I stumbled down a couple hundred times. He was always preparing me to do things on my own.

I can be quite the codependent person that loves to listen to the advice of others' to make decisions or to rely on them to step out of their comfort zone. He always made me be the bold person and go talk to people, I think partially because he did not want to do it himself yet it still help me grow up a ton. I enjoy talking on the phone nowadays because he used to make me call and make all of my own appointments starting in High School. He tried to prove to me that I never needed a man or friend to rely on that I was independent enough to do everything on my own even if I did not even realize it myself.

6. He can bark like a wild beast, but his bite was always sweet like a teddy bear.

His words sometimes would cross the line in the heat of the moment, but we both can be mega hot heads in our arguments so I definitely crossed the line a couple of times too. The cool thing though was my dad was never afraid to admit when he went too far. I know he hates emotions, but when he had gone too far I could always see the pain in his eyes begging for forgiveness. I remember a few days before I left for college we had a big heart-to-heart with my mom, where my parents were kind of like we hope we did all we could do as parents to prepare you for the real world. That's when I realized it was a learning process for all of us with me being the oldest.It was two kids who grew up learning how to raise one of their own. It was never perfect, but I would say even in the midst of the craziest arguments my dad never once was nothing less than the best.

7. He would give his shirt off his back for anyone.

Dad is always great at putting up these walls that he does not care and does not know how to handle having three women in the house some days, but I will admit for him it has turned him into a quite a compassionate person. Especially for my mom, he honors her more than anyone I know and it reflects into how he treats others. He does not put with bull crap, but if you get on his good side he will appreciate you so much. My dad is the automotive teacher at the High School back home for the past ten years and the joy he gets talking about some of his students' can be so inspiring. You can just tell the love he has for the Lord overflows into his job. He may not always show that same compassion towards his familia everyday because we are a lot to handle, but I know without a shadow of a doubt he is using his spiritual gifts to good use.

8.He will be the first person to tell me to get my crap together and stop being such a worrier.

I think a lot times I get so overwhelmed at college because I do not have my dad here to look at me like I'm crazy and then proceed to tell me I should have let that go days ago. He can always look at me and know it's about to be a mouth full, but at the end of my rants he's like a broken record with his all time comment, "oh gosh girls always so dramatic." My dad is the real MVP to remind that the amount of time I have spent worrying could've been spent actually enjoying life, he is always quick to remind me how easy I have it and that I have the rest of my life to worry about things that actually matter.

9. His love for me was never a doubt.

My dad can be a man of few words when it comes to expressing how much I mean to him, but I never doubt it. Every time I call I can always hear him in the background telling me how much he misses me. Our love can be expressed through all he has ever done for me, if I ever wanted something he always got it for me even if cost his lost dollar. On the day of High School graduation he found a way to be on the teacher section right behind me. To my surprise when I looked around he was there and began to tear up as he proceeded to tell me how proud he was and would miss me. This is one of those moments that definitely will be fresh on my mind for years to come and remind me how much love my dad has for me. Even when he forgets to say thank you or say I love you when I really need I knew at that moment in time it would never fade.

10. He has been there for me since day one and will never leave.

So many girls nowadays grow up without a father figure or in split homes, but I was so blessed with a dad who chooses his family day in and day out. I have no doubt that when I come home for college breaks that his face will always be present. I have been blessed without not only a present father, but supportive father that anything I was apart of I could count on his face being out in the crowds if he could. Thank you for choosing us, and loving us through every hectic argument.

The reason why daughters love their Dad the most is because there is at least one man in the world who will never hurt her.