10 Dead Giveaways That Prove You're A Nursing Major

You know who we are!

64

Nursing, the major that demands sympathy, and forces others to ask the question, "Are you nuts?" With a clinical that averages a total of 90 hours for each class, four freakishly hard tests, and vicious competition, this major is certainly no walk in the park. Because the major is so difficult, it would be an understatement to say it changes people. You can easily identify people as nursing majors based on not just these points, but many other sad facts. Laugh away nursing majors, this is who we are! For others, excuse our twisted humor.

1. The look of sadness never leaves your face.

Constant worry, extreme paranoia, KAPLAN? Nursing students are never without any worry or fear of impending doom. Seemingly impossible tests that are based off two to three hour long lectures is enough to make anyone shed a tear. When downtime is available, you spend it worrying about your next task, or sit with internal struggle as to whether or not you actually got all your stuff done.

2. You number everything on a scale of 0 to 10.

Because of your instinctual need to rate everything, others look at you sideways. "No, *insert name here*, my confidence in that test was not an 8 out of 10". While you consider this vital to your job, your social life would argue differently. We are all just trying to understand each other a little better, right? ...Wrong.

3. ...Where'd you go?

Your friends are left searching for you daily. With a nauseating amount of hours spent in the library, your friends back in your dorm and you family back at home may even forget your existence. The fight for survival is never ending, and requires complete and utter determination. Your friends will understand, and if they don't they are not nursing majors themselves.

4. Even the librarians know your name.

You have made that four person study table next to the downstairs computer lab your home, everyone knows that space is your territory. You walk past the same devoted and knowledgeable people at the library checkout desk, and they give you the above look each time. With THOUSANDS of people attending your University, you know you're special when Loretta says your name!

5. You use abbreviations and acronyms nobody understands.

NCLEX, KAPLAN, NPO, MN, MDRO, MRSA, ESBL, VRE PO, IV, IM, SubQ, SCD, CAP, MAR....

I'm just going to leave this here.

6. Your take way too much pride in wearing your scrubs.

I would be lying if I said this program was easy. We made it to the point where we get to go to clinical and be required to wear our uniform. An enormous amount of pride is felt when looking at that fine self of yours in the mirror. We radiate "important". Let us have a small victory, please? Oh and yes, they make my butt look great, thanks for asking.

7. You are sought after for everyday health advice.

What adds to our ever fluctuating ego is that our friends believe that we understand the human body fully although we are just students. Having your opinion instantly honored because of your status at school is certainly empowering and yet rewarding. While we are in fact in the field to help others, you have to admit this premature opportunity is totally cool.

8. You constantly regret your decision to be a nursing major.

Why on Earth couldn't we go to school to just sit there and look pretty? This workload and exceedingly high set of expectations only turns college into a traumatic experience. While your nursing friends turn to the aid of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, you are left asking if it is really worth it. While that answer may depend on the person asking the question, hopefully you find that this hard work is in fact rewarding in its own way.

9. Optimism is dead

Two-hundred six bones, 640 skeletal muscles, 11 major organ systems, and hundreds of medications? You, my friend, would be pessimistic too if you were expected to know all this information like the back of your hand. Remembering that even when we graduate we are still not nurses is certainly draining. The NCLEX test (based on the state) is still looming over our heads, determining whether or not we are competent. How would you feel to know you're going to a four year college to pass a single test?

10. The weekends are yours (mostly)

One would expect that after being subjected to utter torture for five straight days, nursing students would be set free on the weekends. This expectation is an understatement, friends. From Friday night through Sunday, nursing majors roam the campus in search of an escape from their otherwise stressful lives. The worst feeling is remembering that you are certainly going to face destruction come Monday morning. Some attempt to prep Sunday night in order to soften the blow, only to find that their efforts are fruitless. So don't be surprised the next time you see nursing majors having a little fun on the weekends.

Don't criticize, sympathize.

DISCLAIMER

I do indeed love my life as a nursing student, however stressful it may be. The reward is worth the trouble (in my case). The nursing profession is wonderful, and deserves much love. I am simply trying to help those struggling in this field find a little laughter, because if we are not laughing we are crying.