10 Reasons You Should Visit Savannah, Georgia

There's nothing quite like the mystique of the South.

34
https://unsplash.com/photos/uE2T1tCFsn8

From someone who has traveled quite a bit in such a short time, you should travel. Now traveling does not always have to be long distance - you can travel somewhere in the U.S. and still say you traveled. I include traveling domestically as a part of my definition of traveling.

Having said this, I recently traveled to Savannah, Georgia. This was my first visit down South. I had so many pre-conceived ideas about what the South is like, stereotypes included. I spoke to some of my peers about going to Georgia and got a lot of good advice, but I did not have to use most of that advice during my own trip.

The South has a lot of appeal to it. After having gone down to Georgia, I realized I could not forget it once I returned.

Here are a few things that make Savannah, Georgia, enticing and a hot spot for people who have never been down South:

1. Green everywhere!

Unlike up North, the South has tons of green everywhere. The trees have full canopies, there are carefully manicured shrubs and bushes outside of residences, and public areas are filled with fresh flowers. Although I didn't notice much wildlife, there are definitely animals out and about.

2. Southern hospitality

Every person I came across spoke to me with all the manners we were taught as children. I mean, people addressed me as "miss!" That is pretty different from how people, especially those my own age, talk to me here. Adults and young people down South are all equally polite.

3. The accents

Not everyone had an accent, but those who did had the best accents. It took me back to "Gone with the Wind." The accents came so naturally to them, they thought I was the one with an accent!

4. Amazing food

I was told it is considered rude not to clean your plate down South. That didn't turn out to be a problem down there because the food was just that good! I learned that they have some of the best fried chicken down South. They really put KFC and Popeyes to shame with their popular dishes, particularly mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes, and corn.

5. Trolleys

Savannah is a popular tourist destination. There are all kinds of trolleys roaming around and tours 24/7. You can go on the typical popular sites tours or take a ghost tour.

6. Alcohol

There are a lot of alcohol stores and shops around the city. I had a slushie that combined alcohol and a fruity flavor of my choosing and it was delicious! The place I went to also had wine and moonshine combos.

7. Historic sites

There were so many neighborhoods with high property values because of its history. A lot of the homes date back to the times of slavery. There are plantation homes, but there are also just some with older styles of architecture that aren't used anymore. Can you say pillars and arches?

8. The weather

I cannot praise the weather there enough. It was the perfect break from the cold weather up North! There was a bit of cold weather creeping in, but the sun definitely overpowered the cold front traveling through. The weather was always 60 degrees and above.

9. Bowling

I went twice to AMF Savannah Lanes and both times, the alley was packed. They must love their bowling down there! I am awful at bowling, but those experiences turned out to be more fun than I remember bowling to be.

10. Gift shops

If you want something to remember Savannah by, I would definitely recommend raiding the antique and gift shops all over the city. The experience of being in Savannah is great, but a memento or two cannot hurt. There were beautiful things unique to Georgia that I now regret not buying. We went to places like the Honest Bee Company and Frieze Gift Shop.

But don't just take my word for it! Make your own visit down to good old Georgia, even if it's not Savannah. Although once again, 10/10 Mili totally recommends.