10 Reasons To Get Fired Up For UMass Amherst

As school approaches, here's why you should be excited.

481
Boston Herald

As the summer approaches its end, visions of late night at Berk are dancing in every UMass student's head. Whether you're a returning Minuteman/Minutewoman or an incoming freshman, there is no lack of things to get excited about. Plenty of memories are waiting to be made, and you and your friends should expect nothing less than a great year in Amherst for these next two semesters. Here are ten reasons to get fired up for school:

10. "Battle of the Bay State" Football Game

Whatever your opinion may be on our football team, this game is being hyped up as the two Division I football programs of Massachusetts going head to head. The atmosphere at Gillette alone makes it worth taking the trip for that Saturday, September 10.

9. Actually Learning Something

For the freshmen coming in, college in comparison to high school is great because you get to start studying what you're interested in (aside from Gen Ed's, but don't let that ruin your excitement). New classes and new subjects will keep you busy with school but open your mind to a lot of things you didn't know or were aware of before going to college.

8. Your Friends Are Here!

For many, going home for the summer was bittersweet, especially if most of your friends live far off from where you are. Getting back to school means breaking out the welcome wagon for you and the squad, and at UMass, there's no lack of ways to celebrate that reunion.

7. Views

One of the most underrated things on this list for sure is the beautiful scenery of UMass. I feel like I take it for granted sometimes, but our campus is pretty damn beautiful. Nothing quite like it anywhere else, so freshmen should take plenty of pictures throughout the next four years.

6. A Promising Season For The Hockey Team

After a tough season last winter, the boys are looking primed to make a good run for a top spot in the Hockey East conference this year. Returning players include defensive powerhouse William Lagesson and offensive threats in Ray Pigozzi and Austin Plevy, just three of the many beauties ready to light the lamp at the Mullins Center. The recent hiring of Head Coach Greg Carvel brings a presence in the staff that is very familiar with success, which will ideally provide some exciting Friday nights.

5. Halloweekend

Yup, the four days of Halloween. The only difficult part is thinking of four different costumes and trying to remember the majority of your nights a week later, but all jokes aside the weekend of October 31st is one of the funnest weekends of the Fall. Don't forget to take the time to visit the closest dining hall for some steak and lobster before the festivities!

4. New Living Space

If your dorm situation wasn't exactly ideal last year, it's a brand new year, and a brand new room. You get a new spot that you more than likely got to choose for yourself in the room selection process, and even though it takes a lot of compromising sometimes, there's a lot to be happy about with where you're about to be staying. Especially if it's in Southwest. Not that I'm picking any favorite area on campus or anything.

3. The Food

Everyone knows the national acclamations our school receives for our dining. And truthfully if you've visited any other school in the area you will know just how lucky we are to have the food that we do. People typically are divided between Berk being their favorite dining hall and Hamp, but if you ask me, anywhere that's feeding you at UMass should be appreciated the same. Except Worcester.

2. The Nights Out

One of the first things said when you tell someone you go to UMass Amherst is "Oh, the party school!" or something along the lines of that. Of course, we work hard and we play hard but there's no shame in taking pride in the play-hard aspect. It's fun to have fun, in any shape or form. What you and your friends do on the nights out is your business, but there's a pretty good chance that it's one of the top reasons you're excited to get back to UMass.

1. That UMass Pride

Our school is awesome. Whether you've known this from experience or you've heard stories going into your first year, the fact that you go to UMass is nearly enough to be excited for this upcoming year. You'll find your own ten reasons to be excited for another year at school, friends to spend your time with, and tons of memories to remember long after graduation. Here's to another year at the U.