You know what's cool and confusing and pretty all at the same time? Stars. Here are ten reasons why stargazing makes for a great reason to venture out of the house on an average (cloudless) night...
1. "Can I wear your shirt out tonight?"
2. "Does my hair look greasy?"
3. "We should probably clean tomorrow..."
4. "What should I caption this??"
5. "Is it bad if I text ____ first??"
6. "Should we order pizza?"
7. *Roommate tells an entire story* "Wait, what?"
8. "How is it already 3 AM?"
9. "I need a drink."
10. "McDonalds? McDonalds."
11. "GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED."
12. "Okay like, for real, I need to study."
13. "Why is there so much hair on our floor?"
14. "I think I'm broke."
15. "What do I respond to this?"
16. "Let's have a movie night."
17. "Why are we so weird?"
18. "Do you think people will notice if I wear this 2 days in a row?"
19. "That guy is so stupid."
20. "Do I look fat in this?"
21. "Can I borrow your phone charger?
22. "Wanna go to the lib tonight?"
23. "OK, we really need to go to the gym soon."
24. "I kinda want some taco bell."
25. "Let's go out tonight."
26. "I wonder what other people on this floor think of us."
27. "Let's go to the mall."
28. "Can I use your straightener?"
29. "I need coffee."
30. "I'm bored, come back to the room."
31. "Should we go home this weekend?"
32. "We should probably do laundry soon."
33. "Can you see through these pants?"
34. "Sometimes I feel like our room is a frat house..."
35. "Guys I swear I don't like him anymore."
36."Can I borrow a pencil?"
37. "I need to get my life together...."
38. "So who's buying the Uber tonight?"
39. "Let's walk to class together."
40. "Are we really pulling an all-nighter tonight?"
41. "Who's taking out the trash?"
42. "What happened last night?"
43. "Can you help me do my hair?"
44. "What should I wear tonight?"
45. "You're not allowed to talk to him tonight."
46. "OMG, my phone is at 1 percent."
47. "Should we skip class?"
48. "What should we be for Halloween?"
49. "I love our room."
50. "What would I do without you guys???"
I wrote this out of frustration of the ones who don't know what it's like to be a sever.
This has been on my heart ever since I became a server and it's these things I want everyone to understand.
1. We don’t make an hourly wageGiphy
Well, we do, but it's only $2.15 an hour. After taxes are taken out, it comes to be roughly $0.75 an hour. Being a server is not like other jobs, we do not rely on our weekly check to pay the bills or put gas in our cars. If I serve 6 tables in one night and they all leave me $3, looks like I'm leaving with only $18. My paycheck from my 40 hour pay period of 2 weeks is only going to turn out to be about $30, that is if I don't get money taken out for employee meals. Servers work late nights so there is no proper time for dinner so getting an employee meal is sometimes the only option.
2. 15% is not a good tipGiphy
Before I started serving I thought that 15% was what I left when my server did a very good job. Keywords of that sentence is “before I became a server." If your server did an excellent job, AT LEAST leave 20%. We would appreciate more, but anything is better than 15%. If you don't know how to calculate this, pull out your calculator, type in the amount of your bill, and multiply by 0.20 and there you go!
3. The attitude you have towards me reflects my attitude towards youGiphy
I'm not saying if you're super sassy with me, then I'm going to be super sassy back. I'm saying that if you seem like you don't want to be here and don't talk a lot, then I'm not going to try to spark a conversation with you. I love when my customers acknowledge me and try to spark a conversation themselves. For every customer, I want to make your experience at this restaurant the best that I can make it, but if you don't talk back, I'll try to come to your table the least that I can.
4. Acknowledge me when I come to your table
It is one of the most embarrassing things when I come to the table and you keep talking amongst yourselves when I have asked you a question. I won't be there for long so while I'm standing there, please listen to me and answer my question and then I will be on my way. Most people act like it's not my job to come up and ask what you want to eat.
5. I don’t work in the kitchen, so if your food isn’t cooked right, don’t get an attitude with meGiphy
Your fried grouper is over cooked? I'm very sorry and I will repeatedly tell you how sorry I am for that, but I want you to understand something. I am not in the kitchen cooking the food myself. The kitchen will mess up sometimes, just like I do, and that's okay. But please, don't get an attitude with me about it because it was not something I could have prevented. I promise we will work it out.
6. I am trained to have a greeting line, so please don’t interrupt me before I’m done greeting youGiphy
“Hey how are you guys do..."
“I'll have a water with lemon."
I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. It is my job to ask you what you want to drink so I will get to it, but before I do that, let me get through my greeting line like I am trained to do.
7. Servers have a lot that goes through their mindsGiphy
“Ranch for table 6.
Refill drinks at table 7 and 8. Wow that guy drinks a lot.
Don't forget that the guy at table 7 wants his ribeye trimmed a certain way and cooked in-between medium and medium rare.
Where is the water pitcher??
Call out salads for table 8. No onions and peppers on one.
Grab the check from table 5.
Theres no more sweet tea in the urn. We need more!
UGH RANCH FOR TABLE 6!"
I saw something similar to this on Facebook one time, and I laughed at how accurate it was. If I forget that ranch for table 6 at the end of the night, it will hit me and I will feel and about it.
8. Lastly, I am human and I will make some mistakesGiphy
I will stumble upon my words when I say filet mignon because for some reason it is a hard word for me to say. My mind will go blank sometimes when you ask me what kind of wine we have. I will mess up every now and then. Sometimes it will be your fault because just like me, you mess up too and that's perfectly OK.
Becoming a server was one of the most eye opening experiences for me and if I could, I would make it a law for everyone to be a server at some point in their life, but that would be really silly. I hope this opens the eyes of some people. I know being a server isn't the most difficult job in the whole world, but I can promise you it is not the easiest either.