10 More Reasons A Server Might Spit In Your Food, Just A Head's Up

Be better.

240
Photo: Elizabeth Sloan

My very first article for Odyssey was inspired by my place of work, at a restaurant on the East Side of Milwaukee.

Now, in honor of my last day as a server (at least for the summer), here are 10 more reasons a server might spit in your food.

1. You comment on your server’s appearance

Unless it’s related to your meal or my tip, I don’t want to hear it. My coworkers will tell me if I have syrup running down the front of my shirt, whip cream on my face, or even a pancake on my shoulder. Stay in your lane.

2. You complain about the menu

I never could understand why customers complain to me about the menu. I don’t write the menu, decide the prices, or cook the food. If you want something different, go somewhere else.

3. You take forever to order

It doesn’t take that long to find something on the menu that sounds good. If you’re deciding between two plates, just pick one; don’t tell me to “surprise you”.

4. You bring your own food

There are a few issues I have with customers that bring in their own food or drink. First, bringing your own food is, more often than not, a health code violation. Second, you’re taking away from the bill, and therefore my tip. Don’t do it.

5. You come in right after open

Just like athletes getting ready for a game, servers need time to prepare for the rush. If you are waiting outside the door before it’s time to open, don’t expect your server to be all smiles.

6. You come in right before close

What’s worse than a customer that comes in right after open? A customer that comes in right before close.

7. You’re rowdy

Stop screaming at your kids, fighting with your boyfriend, or yelling to your friend across the table. Be respectful to those around you.

8. You trash your table

I don't want to pick scrambled eggs out of the carpet or scrub syrup off of the seat. If you wouldn't make a mess of your mom's house, your friend's apartment or your boo's condo, don't make a mess of our restaurant.

9. You argue the bill

You order it, you pay for it. Not my problem. See #2.

10. You ask for a straw

Just because the restaurant you're at still uses plastic straws doesn't mean you should use them. Be better to our environment.