10 Reasons Why I Love Being from Long Island

I miss my home

84
Alex Feehan

I didn’t realize how much I was going to miss Long Island until I went away for college in Pennsylvania. Being away from home can be hard, but it only makes going home for breaks even better. These are ten reasons why I love calling Long Island my home. From the food to the beaches, if you’re from or live on Long Island you will be able to relate!

1. We live ON Long Island, not IN

Everybody is very adamant about the fact that we live on Long Island not in. If you say it the wrong way, you run the risk of being yelled at by somebody from Long Island.

2. The Pizza

Nothing beats the pizza on Long Island. There are countless pizzerias in every direction 5 minutes from your house, but of course you still have your favorite that you order from every time!

3. The Bagels

Everybody loves their bagels with every and any type of cream cheese you could imagine on them. Getting a bagel and an Iced tea from the bagel store is a Long Island tradition nobody should miss out on.

4. The Deli’s

You can order anything at the endless number of Deli’s on Long Island. I crave a bacon egg and cheese from Sequa Deli every other day. From the bacon egg and Cheese’s to Reuben Sandwiches, you can eat their Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. Just like the pizzerias, everyone has a favorite they go to in order to start their days.

5. The Chinese Food

Just take my word for it, the food on Long Island is amazing.

6. Ralph’s Italian Ices

Everybody waits for the time that Ralph’s opens because they have such amazing Italian Ices to help cool you off during those summer months. Then when they close you just have to wait for them to open yet again, it’s an endless cycle.

7. 24 Hour Diners

Hungry for Mozzarella sticks or some French fries at 3am? Well, don’t worry because you can just go to an endless number of the 24-hour diners we have on Long Island. It’s the best to take a trip late at night/early in the morning to eat some greasy food with your friends.

8. The Beaches

The beaches are only a 20 – 30-minute drive away, which is great for the summer. Having the beaches so close is very convenient and makes for a fun filled summer!

9. New York City is just a train ride away

Anytime you want to go into the city it’s just a train ride away! Make last minute plans with your friends when you’re bored, spontaneously get tickets to a Broadway show or go hang out in Central Park. It is amazing to have the city so close to home!

10. There’s no place I would have rather grown up

With the abundance of amazing qualities Long Island has to offer, I am so glad I can call it my home.