10 Reasons Why I Love My Imperfect Home

10 Reasons Why I Love My Imperfect Home

Why having a home that isn't pinterest-perfect is actually amazing.

551
10 Reasons Why I Love My Imperfect Home
www.littlethings.com

Our home is far from flawless. The marks in the floor speak to its age and the common color of the walls suggests its unremarkable character. Although it may look simple, our home is anything but ordinary. Here are 6 reasons why I love my imperfect home.

1. You don’t have to worry about small damages.

Small nicks in the corners of cabinets and marks on the mirror aren’t a huge deal. It’s okay for accidents to happen and the world won’t end when they do. Little imperfections only serve to show that the home has been happily lived in.

2. It’s cozy

No matter how nice an immaculate, unblemished home may look, nothing compares to being able to kick your feet up and be comfortable in your own place. A house that looks lived in is just so much more welcoming.

3. It helps you bond with your roommates

Whether you’ve been together for years or just started living together, having an imperfect place gives you a few things to agree on. We all know the annoying noise the dishwasher makes and how easily bagels burn in our old toaster oven. Your roommates are always there to let you know when there is a new obstacle to work around.

4. You can always change it up.

If there’s a new sign you want to put up or a new DIY decoration you wanted to attempt, you can do it. There’s no color schemes or themes you have to stick to at any point in time. If you find things that make you happy, they can always have a place in your home.

5. You learn how to be a handy-man

In the process of tightening loose screws and fixing window locks, you learn how to get things done yourself. You always have your toolbox ready and know which tools to use for what. Instead of calling maintenance for every minor issue you run into, you are a more independent and knowledgeable person who can fix those annoying little problems as they arise.

6. The Location

Although our home may not be EXACTLY where we want it to be, it's an adventure exploring a whole new area. In the process, we have come to realize that the area around us is a pretty cool place and totally worth getting to know. Of course, there's nothing like being close to your favorite restaurants.

7. Having Neighbors

Being the introverts that we are, initially the possibility of having noisy, annoying roommates was a big concern. After having numerous people stop to open doors for us and help us carry our things up to our apartment, we realized that having some other people around might not be such a bad thing after all.

8. The View

Considering our building is far from being a high-rise, our view of the city is quite different. Our view from the living room might just be a Wells Fargo, but the other windows in the place showcase unique little shops and really cool art galleries. Our view might not be so bad after all.

9. The Price

Since you aren't paying for a life of luxury, you get to treat yourself to the little things. Saving a little on housing means treating yourself to putting better snacks on the grocery list and allowing yourself to turn down the thermostat to the temperature you like. Cutting back does have its perks!

10. Eclectic Furniture

Although your decorations and furniture may not be entirely cohesive, the appearance of assorted belongings is better than any matching set you could buy. Your home shows that you have people who helped you piece together your furniture one chair or one lamp at a time. It’s filled with a couch that reminds you of your grandparents and a TV stand that you remember from when you were five.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what your home looks like. As long as you are happy and comfortable, any home can be your perfect home.