10 Reasons to Love Hiking

10 Reasons to Love Hiking

It will have you coming back for more.

8609
10 Reasons to Love Hiking

Hiking is a beloved past time by many. Any morning you can look up your local mountain and see a steady stream of hikers along the trail. There's something about being on the trail, feeling the wind brush against your skin and the sun beat against your back, that's the feeling that has hikers constantly going back for more.

Here are a few reasons hiking should become your new past time. If it already is, I'm sure you can relate to these.

1. There's only you and the mountain.

Nothing else really matters when you are trekking up a mountain, down a canyon or around a loop. The world seems to come to a standstill where your next step is really the only thing that matters.

2. You are surrounded by nature.

Birds chirping, unknown critters skittering in the bushes, tree leaves blowing in the wind, it's a refreshing escape from usual city life. Until you can find your car in the parking lot from the top of the mountain.

3. It is a great workout.

There's sweat pouring down your face, you can feel your heart picking up speed, and you can hear each breath you take. You know you're going to be feeling the burn tomorrow. But hey, at least you're getting some stellar cardio in!

4. You can go alone (only if you are well versed) or in a big group.

There are no rules to hiking, really. If you want to find inner peace on a mountain, by all means go (safely) alone. If you're looking for your friend group's next insta-worthy pic, gather 'em up and hit the trails!

5. Silence is golden.

Listening to nature is one of the best parts about hiking. If it starts raining, it may sound like you're in a tropical rainforest. If you hear a swarm of bees, you'll know it's time to pick up the pace a little. Listening to your surroundings is beautiful, but also necessary.

6. Adventure is right around the corner.

You never know what you're going to encounter when you start a hike! You may find a coyote along the trail, and not 50 feet later encounter a rattle snake. You may even be at the top of a mountain and encounter a thunderstorm. There's really no way to predict what adventure your hike will bring you.

7. There is a feeling of freedom.

The world is your oyster. Or in this case, the trail.

8. Feeling like a mountain goat.

Hopping from one rock to the next gives you a spring in your step. You begin to question if you can do this forever, until you miss a rock and unfortunately fall.

9. The breathtaking beauty of your surroundings.

I'm not talking about the views from the summit or the bottom of the canyon, although these are some of the prettiest sights known to man. There are beautiful sights along the hike as well, and you may be missing out if you keep your nose to the ground the entire trail. Stop and peer through the trees halfway up, you may just find something that is incredible.

10. The feeling of accomplishment right after a hike.

Now when can I go again?