10 Reasons I Love New England

10 Reasons I Love New England

From Tom Brady and Mark Wahlberg to Dunkin' Donuts and Fenway Park

173
10 Reasons I Love New England
ESPN Magazine

Last night, I spent a few hours on the phone with my new roommate, a girl from a small town in Ohio. We, of course, began talking about how I’ve grown up in New England and how her friends always ask if “it’s weird that I’m from New Hampshire.” I realized that they probably didn’t know much about what it’s like over here in New England -- or how much they’re missing out on on.

In reality, I wouldn’t want to have grown up anywhere else. I am so lucky to live in such an amazing place. To the people who have never been, or don’t know what it’s like to live here: I give you ten reasons why I love New England.

1. Tom Brady (and the New England Patriots)

Who couldn’t love this face? Who wouldn’t? The best part is, his beautiful face and impeccable jaw line is simply an added bonus. He is undoubtedly the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All-Time) and is the pride of the entirety of New England. CBS Sports once wrote an article on why he’s the best QB ever. He holds the record for postseason wins (21-8), has led the Patriots to 12 career AFC East division titles, and, of course, given us four Super Bowl rings.

2. The oceans.

Can’t decide if you want to go to a lake or an ocean? Lucky for you, you can do both. Personally, I’m a beach girl, and there are so many great spots around here. There is, of course, Cape Cod, known to most New Englanders as “The Cape.” This is one of my favorite places to be. You can take a boat to the Vineyard or over to Nantucket. In the neighboring states, there’s Rhode Island’s Narragansett, New Hampshire’s Rye (where a 45-foot humpback whale recently washed up), Maine’s Old Orchard Beach and, again, more. The opportunities are endless.

3. The lakes.

On the flip side, New England is home to beautiful lakes -- including Lake Winnipesaukee in my home state of New Hampshire. There’s also Vermont’s Lake Champlain, Connecticut’s Lake Waramaug (pictured above), Maine’s Moosehead Lake, and more.

4. Dunks.

I think what I’ll miss most about New England is Dunkin’ Donuts. I just can’t get myself to enjoy Starbucks. There’s beautifully frosted donuts, creamy hot chocolate, tasty iced coffee, and amazing Coolattas for hot summer days. The cups reflect the current sports seasons and when the Patriots win, you can get free iced coffee. What’s better than that? America truly runs on Dunkin’.

5. The fall.

New England fall foliage brings tourists from all over to see the beautiful leaves as they change colors. There’s just something magical about the leaves turning red, orange, and yellow.

6. The way we talk.

My grandmother, a Massachusetts native, calls Market Basket “Demoulas” and she drinks “tonic” instead of soda. She puts “ah” in the place of “ar,” saying things like “smaht,” “cah” instead of car, and “watah” instead of water. My mother has a whole accent (and language) of her own coming from Rhode Island. Half the time, I don’t even know what she’s saying. Beer or bear? I couldn’t tell you. Then there’s the lingo: grocery carts are “carriages;” water fountains are “bubblers” -- pronounced “bubblah;” traffic circles are “rotaries;” remote controls are “clickers.” It’s a wicked pissah. You gotta love it.

7. Fenway Park.

The home of the Boston Red Sox since 1912 and the oldest baseball stadium in the history of the MLB. Fenway Franks. Neil Diamond’s, "Sweet Caroline." Big Papi. Sox vs. the Yanks. A great day spent is in Fenway Park watching America’s favorite pastime (and favorite baseball team). Go Sox!

8. Movies and stars.

Mark “Marky Mark” Wahlberg is from Boston. He played the pride and joy of Lowell, Mass. -- boxer Micky Ward, in the 2010 movie “The Fighter.” Comedian Amy Poelher is from Burlington, Mass. SVU’s Richard Belzer is from Bridgeport, Conn. "The Office’s" John Krasinski is from Newton, Mass. SNL’s Sarah Silverman is from Manchester, N.H., as is actor Adam Sandler. SNL’s Seth Meyers is from neighboring Bedford, N.H. and "Family Guy’s" Seth MacFarlane is from Kent, Conn. We breed the best!

9. Title Town.

Just look at this. It’s so beautiful. We are home to the Bruins, the Red Sox, the Celtics, and need I say more about TB12 and the Patriots? I actually don’t need to say anything about the fact that Boston is the greatest sports city in the world. I’ll just add this:

10. Boston Strong!

Even in the worst of times, such as the 2013 Boston Bombing, we only grow stronger. Our love for New England and for the city of Boston only grew. We are a place unlike others in this country. We are strong-willed and stubborn. We love our sports teams more than any other. We love Dunks, driving like Massholes, and talking loudly above everyone else. We are Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, and Massachusetts. We are New England, and we love it here.