10 Reasons To Avoid The University Of South Carolina

I sure hope this helps you narrow down your college check list.

4362
EmilyGrace Mewborne

Every high school student knows how stressful college applications can get. Universities from all over the United States send emails and letters explaining why they prove the best fit for that particular person. Well, amongst all of the propaganda, let's get real. The University of South Carolina, while it might be for some, just simply isn't the place for everyone. In the hopes of helping those who care narrow down their college search, I took to liberty of compiling a list of reasons why this school might not prove your piece of pudding.

1. If friendly people make you sick.

If you’re the kind of person who cringes at the thought of someone showing you genuine kindness, avoid the University of South Carolina. It’s nearly impossible to dodge all of the super nice, neighborly and welcoming people on this campus. Everyone really cares about one another and loves to work together towards common ambitions, so the Gamecocks will definitely prove a group of people to shake and bake past if you don’t appreciate general encouragement by your peers.

2. If you want to be super unsuccessful in life.

UofSC is so full of opportunities to set every student up for success, that anyone looking to avoid reaching their goals better stay far away. This school even has full departments of professionals dedicated to helping students find careers after college, not to mention the plethora of tuition-included tutoring outlets made readily available to any student. If finding internships, co-ops and other resume jewels gross you out, this just won’t be the school for you.

3. If you find opportunity offensive.

With this university lying in the midst of a striving capitol, the opportunities prove literally endless. Huge businesses like Aflac, BlueCross BlueShield and Palmetto Health are always looking for interns to help prepare students for their careers. The most offensive part about that? They are located within the same city as the university. Even just finding a small part-time job to earn some pocket change proves way too easy at UofSC. Restaurants, shops and stores surround the campus, so good luck not finding any moneymaking opportunity there. Needless to say, on top of all the assistance the university itself gives students when it comes to finding opportunities, most of the life-changing career experience lies just down the street.

4. If you just downright hate beautiful places.

This campus contains some of the state’s most beautiful natural history. Surrounded by state parks, waterfalls and an ever-flourishing city life, you definitely won’t like UofSC if beauty causes you discomfort. Plus, the historic Horseshoe lies in the heart of campus, so enrolling here means you are constantly doomed to walk past its towering trees and gorgeous atmosphere.

5. If community makes you cringe.

With over 400 clubs and organizations, the University of South Carolina supports community and unity like no other campus. The school’s cringeworthy love and support for its students are made evident by how attentive every professor, faculty and staff member strives to be. They even go as far as to take time out of their personal schedule to meet and mentor students! Can you believe this? So, yeah, if you barf at the sight of others caring for one another don’t even apply here.

6. If you are allergic to making fun, lifelong memories.

Going to football games to cheer on the mighty Gamecocks with over 80,000 other screaming and excited fans? Spending Saturdays floating down the Congaree River? Going to late night movies (that are included in your tuition, so at no extra cost… ew) with your closest friends? Spending the evening downtown eating the most delicious cheesecake ever to exist? Art museums, ballets, musicals, festivals, nearby beaches, close-enough mountains and shopping? Be prepared to suffer from an allergic reaction almost every single day.

7. If you only want to eat Ramen Noodles for all four years of college.

The moment you step into any one of UofSC’s 31 dining facilities you instantly forget about Ramen. How awful is that? From buffets to Italian to Greek and even sub sandwiches, your Ramen Noodles goals go right out the window. Avoid applying here at all costs if you do not appreciate delicious, award-winning, national-ranking food.

8. If your main goal is to fail out of school.

Good luck with that here at the University of South Carolina. I hate to break it to you, but UofSC has an entire department in the library dedicated strictly to helping tuition-paying students succeed in their academics. From one-on-one tutoring to group tutoring to tutors who help you correct essays and lab reports, this place makes it pretty difficult to fail a class. Sure the classrooms will teach you more than you could ever imagine, but the professors constantly push their students to be the best they can be. If you really want to fail all of your classes, check out Clemson or somewhere else.

9. If you’re really adamant about finding the least safe campus in the country.

Not only does UofSC have an entire police force (the University of South Carolina Police Department) dedicated to keeping students safe while retaining state-wide jurisdiction, they also have Call Boxes around every corner. If you ever feel unsafe (which is hard enough because of how well lit the streets are), you push the button on that Call Box and a USCPD member will come to your aid within 90 seconds. Where’s the danger in that, right? Shuttles even run late at night so you don’t have to walk home alone in the dark. If you want to never ever feel safe again, stay out of this university.

10. If you want to avoid finding your new forever home.

UofSC welcomes every single student with open arms and amazing opportunities. Going even one day without feeling at home proves nearly impossible, so don’t even consider this place if you want to feel unappreciated. The university gives every student so much opportunity to excel past their limits both mentally and emotionally. Unity is encouraged and respect comes without a doubt. All in all, if you do not want to enjoy your college career and are insistent on spending these four years as a lonely and miserable student, you need to stay clear of the beautiful and incredible University of South Carolina.