10 Things You Realize When You Are About To Graduate From Graceland University

"Graceland friends are lifelong friends..."

20
Natalie Sherer

When you're in the thick of your undergrad career, it's hard to appreciate everything you have. Graceland University, home of the Yellowjackets, offers a wealth of opportunity for all who attend. Founded in 1895, Graceland University has offered a unique and fulfilling experience to students for over 100 years - here is a list of things that you begin to realize as graduation approaches.

1. You made the right decision.

At one point or another, every college attendee has to wonder whether they made the right decision. Other schools have more majors, are located in bigger cities, participate in Greek Life, and offer students a laundry list of other opportunities. At the end of the day, Graceland's housing system, unlimited soft serve ice cream, small class sizes, leadership opportunities, and unbeatable campus programming reinforce the fact that you made the right decision.

2. The campus food isn't really that bad.

Biggest running joke on campus? How eating in The Commons can become a digestive disaster. In reality though, Fruit Pizza day, Cheeseburger Mondays, and Chicken Nugget Thursdays should become campus-wide holidays.

3. Every season looks good on Lamoni.

Recall, a snow-dusted Higdon, blooming Spring tress lining GU's sidewalks, the overwhelming sight of wildflowers as you cruise Elk Chapel Road, and piles of fiery Autumn leaves gathering as the weather begins to drop. Lamoni's seasonal sights and smells are uniquely beautiful, wonderful, and unbeatable.

4. College in a small town is college done right.

Your friends at larger schools might spend their weekends bar-hopping or shopping, but you've learned to manufacture your own fun. Looking back, your greatest Graceland memories are from the nights that you created your own mischief, wandering the streets of Lamoni, hunted trouble at the local cemetery, and pursued spontaneous late-night adventures.

5. Your house is the best house.

It doesn't matter which house you request, the house you live on will become your home. House traditions will become your traditions, house leadership becomes your future, and your housemates become your family - there's no way around it.

6. Dropping a cup in The Commons will always be a mortifying experience.

Have you ever dropped a cup and everybody in The Commons applauded you? Well, it's probably going to remain in your Top 3 most embarrassing moments for the rest of your life.

7. You get out what you put in.

If you join house council, a campus club, or a sports team, your Graceland experience is going to be full of relationships, growth, challenges, and overall opportunity that you would likely not have been offered at another school. If you made the effort to be a part of the Graceland community, it's almost a guarantee that you had a fulfilling Graceland experience -- you just had to put yourself out there.

8. The Graceland University staff and faculty have superhero-like qualities.

Have you ever thought about how much the Graceland staff and faculty do, in order for you to have the best possible experience? Consider all of the abnormal luxuries they provide for Graceland students (a.k.a. having you over for dinner, encouraging an "open-door policy", handing out their cell phone numbers, etc.). Graceland employees easily work more than 40 hours each week because they want you to succeed.

9. Homecoming Weekend will become your favorite weekend of the year.

No matter how ready you are for graduation, the idea of never returning to campus is unfathomable. This place has given you so much and so it's nice to know that once a year, there's time set aside for you to return Home and see how Graceland is continuing to foster future academics, leaders, and Yellowjackets Alumni.

10. Graceland friends are lifelong friends...

...and for that you are so incredibly thankful.

Graceland Forever.