10 Reactions Everyone has on Thanksgiving

There are some reactions that are just universal.

35
Wallpaper Safari

We are mere days and hours away from such a wonderful and glorious holiday: Thanksgiving! This overlooked and underappreciated holiday may not involve dressing up and asking for candy or being good and getting presents from a big guy in a red coat, but it does bring families and friends together - for food mainly. And who doesn't love food? If this is not one of your favorite holidays, either you're lying or you're not celebrating right.

Here are 10 reactions everyone shares on Thanksgiving:

1. Waking up and thinking about all the food you are going to devour. Today is the day. After you wake up on Thanksgiving day, you are mere hours away from a meal you purposely went on a diet for that way you can stand to gain a few pounds back.

2. Realizing it's publicly acceptable to finally be excited for Christmas. For months friends, family, and people have ridiculed you for being too excited for Christmas. It was Halloween and your house was already decorated with an evergreen tree and icicle lights. Well, it is officially time to celebrate Christmas without the backlash of those around you.

3. You flip between watching the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade and New York City's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. If you are not one of the brave souls to stand in the cold, you can snuggle up to your TV and watch both parades from your own home. No crowds. No tall people standing in your way. And the best part of all, you can be in your pajamas.

4. Heading over to your family's house (or waiting for guests) and being ready for the food to be served at any moment. You are that much close to the feast. Now mere minutes away. However, you may have that cousin or aunt who does not show up on time and you may need to wait for everyone to appear before you can eat - such a bummer but fear not food shall be on your plate soon enough.

5. Finally, taking it all in and being served this glorious feast. Look around the house and see what you (or family and friends) have prepared. Take it all in and think about how many servings you will have of each delicious morsel.

6. Talking to relatives you have not seen in a long time. You get to see that cousin you have missed for so long and catch up on what is going on in your life. You can vent about things that have happened within your family because let's face it, friends will never understand how crazy your family is the way your cousins do.

7. A family member asks you about your life. Relatives have a funny way of asking you a question and demeaning you at the same time. They concoct questions that compare you to someone else and almost pressure you to reconsider all of your life choices. "Are you working yet?" "How's your job?" "[cousin] is doing so well. Maybe they can get you a job." "Still single" "When are you getting married?" "You're getting older. Are you going to have kids?" Please, enough with the questions! Let me enjoy the feast that is before me!

8. Catching that second wind. You had four helpings of stuffing and turkey. You drowned your mashed potatoes in gravy. You finished all of the corn bread and biscuits. Then, the pot of coffee goes on and the dessert table is being set up. Pies replace the turkey, candies and sweets replace the sweet potatoes, and ice cream and cakes replace the corn bread. You are a little skeptical if you can make it through, but you catch your second wind.

9. Mentally telling yourself you can get through it. You filled your dessert plate, but it slowly starts to hit you. You're finally starting to get full. That little voice in your head is cheering for you to finish your food. This was sought after for so long, you can not give up now.

10. The aftermath. You listened to that voice inside your head and finished every crumb on that plate. You have no regrets. You sit there all smug and proud that you gorged yourself with food despite desiring that "bikini body" you've tried to get the past three years. It's okay that's what New Years resolutions are for.