10 Quotes You Should Live By

10 Quotes You Should Live By

"You are a lot better than you probably think you are." - William Walter

551
10 Quotes You Should Live By
Leilani Encarnacion

I've always been a lover of quotes. Something about the way they are written really speaks to me. Usually only a sentence or two, it gets straight to the point and leaves such a lasting impression. When I'm feeling sad, happy, or even blessed, I always go on Pinterest and find quotes that relate to my current situation. I think we can all relate to quotes, and can find important meanings that correlate with the way you live. Here are some of my favorites.

1. "It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it." - Jimmy Dugan

Life is hard, and there is no way to truly get around that. You're going to have bad days. You're going to feel as if the world is falling beneath your feet and you can't escape. But, it's okay. Life throws massive curveballs and they will hit you unexpectedly. But, you keep going and working hard. Don't think you can just easily get through this life and vice versa. You're working hard and doing your best, that's all you can do.

2. "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." - Harvey Fierstein

Especially now in times of violence, hate-crimes, and constant stereotyping, we must all realize that other people do not define who we are as a person. No matter what, there will always be someone that will say something negative, but it is up to you on how you act towards these words and actions. Do not be silent. Stand up for yourself. You are powerful and you are brave. As long as you stay humble and true to yourself, you are already better than them.

3. "It's OK to not be OK, as long as you don't stay that way." - Anonymous

We all have bad days. We all go through those times where it seems like life is just crumbling in front of you, and you suddenly can't keep up. But, it is something that everyone goes through, and you shouldn't be ashamed about how you feel. Embrace your emotions, but don't let it control your life forever.

4. "Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free." - Anonymous

For me, I always have a fear of trying something different. I like going on spontaneous adventures or going to places I have never been, but something about changing my career path or hobby just frightens me. Afraid of change? Normal. But, I think something we all have to learn is that you must go to those heights that you've never climbed. You should always take the road less traveled by, because you never know what will come of it. And, once again, if you fail, that is okay, too.

5. "Be who you needed when you were younger" -Ayesha Siddiqi

When we were young, we wished to be heroes. We looked up to different people, and sometimes, we didn't have that person right there physically with you. We've all grown to be who we are now, and in the past, you may believe that there was someone who did not treat you well, or helped you as a guardian. I think now we just have to be the best version of ourselves, and be the person, or hero, that you envisioned when you were a kid.

6. "People spend too much time looking for more, instead of appreciating what they already have." - Anonymous

I think something that I've realized and have experienced is that people will come and go in your life, but the true ones will always stay. When I was in middle school, I always found myself trying to make more friends because I thought that was cool, but I sometimes lost touch with the friends who were always there. Quality over quantity is an important thing, and the thing we forget is that the people who are always there are all you need to be happy.

7. "She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." - Proverbs 31:25

For all the women out there, it is so crucial and important to defeat the standards that this world has set upon you. We are powerful. We are fearless. We must be our best selves and show through example that we are just as great and intelligent than men. Time's up.

8. "I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons, and maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there." - Stephen Chbosky

We are not our past. It is so so important to remember that we cannot live by the standards that we are pressured to uphold by those surrounding us. It's hard to get out of the mindset that we are our parents, or we are the people we surround ourselves with, but we have to set our own path in life. That's all we got.

9. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

It is important how you make people feel. Treat others the way that you would want people to feel. If you want to do something that is important and significant in life, you should think about how you want others to feel about it; inspired, cared for, and loved.

10. "Do everything with so much love in your heart that you would never want to do it any other way." - Yogi Desai

Love is everything. Love is why you are the way you are. Love is why you think the way you do. And, love is shown through every aspect of your life. So, follow your career path by doing what you love. Love others, because that is what sets people's souls on fire. Love those who love you. Love is what gets us through dark times, and we must continue to practice and exemplify this, now more than ever.