10 Questions I Have After Watching 13 Reasons Why

The open ending that has me searching for answers

423
Wikia

Let me just start off by telling you that if you have not seen this show or finished it do not read this until you do. This show is heart breaking and so beautifully eye-opening at the same time. It discussed an important thing, but it didn’t give me closure, so I have a few questions.

1. Did Alex live?

The final episode we find out that Alex shot himself, and it’s heartbreaking but we never find out if he makes it or not. I understand the point is that everyone was so busy trying to look at the signs Hannah showed while simultaneously missing the ones Alex was leaving, but did he succeed? And if he did die, then what? Are there more tapes? And if he didn’t die, what happens to him? Does he turn his life around? Do people change? I guess we won’t ever know.

2. What did Tyler end up doing with the guns he had stored away?

I guess it might be good we don’t find out because the show definitely doesn’t need anymore tragedy, but what was his plan? Was he going to shoot up the school or just kill certain people? And what was one person going to do with all of those guns? Were there more people involved in this plan and how long had he been planning to do whatever he was going to do. It seems like a big thing to leave unanswered.

3. Does Bryce go to jail?

First of all, what a horrible character. Bryce is selfish and repugnant but he always seems to get away with it. Do people find out about him raping Hannah and Jessica? And if so are there other girls along the line that come out about being raped by him? Bryce’s family has a lot of money, so does he find a way out? I guess we can just hope that justice was served.

4. Do the tapes ever come out?

So the authorities find out about it but do they listen to it? Does everyone listen to it? Is this something that was only meant for the people behind the 13 reasons or is it a crucial lesson for people everywhere to get a behind the scenes look into the result of bullying? The tapes are personal things that Hannah left for a few people, but she had to know they wouldn't stay a secret forever, didn't she?

5. Who wins the law suit?

I guess at this point it’s obvious who’s fault it is but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the school’s fault. Does that mean all 13 people are going to pay for Hannah’s death or are the charges all going to be dropped? I guess it’s possible that with the tapes coming out people will forget about the law suit and focus on what Hannah was saying, but I highly doubt it.

6. What do Hannah’s parents think of the tapes?

I mean obviously listening to them had to be like having your heart ripped out all over again but then what? Will the parents become angry at the people on the tapes and seek to make sure they pay the consequences or will they be able to heal now that they have closure? I guess we don’t even know if they were physically able to listen to all of them. I mean what it must be like to listen to your dead daughter talk about all the reasons she killed herself.

7. What about Justin?

There’s no way he’s going back home but he definitely isn’t going to Bryce’s anymore. How does a 17-year-old boy make it on his own when his mom has abandoned him. And when he told Bryce that he wouldn’t see him later what was that supposed to mean? I guess he could just mean they weren’t friends anymore but is it more than that? Is Justin going to end his life too?

8. Why Didn’t Mr. Porter Do Anything?

There she was, right in front of him practically begging him to stop her, but he didn’t. He’s a counselor, he had to know the signs, right? There was a girl right in front of him saying she wanted life to be over, that she felt alone, that she had been abused and mistreated and he did nothing. Was he too scared or did he just not care? Was he too worried about the school’s reputation when he should’ve been worried about Hannah’s life? Why did he didn’t he step in and get her help?

9. Why Did Tony Tell Clay He Killed Hannah?

Right before Clay listens to his tape he asks Tony if he killed Hannah Baker and Tony replies yes. I don’t really understand this for a few reasons. I mean yeah Clay could’ve done a few things differently but what he did wasn’t anything compared to the others. Did Clay have the opportunity to prevent Hannah’s suicide, yeah maybe but so did all the other people. I understand Clay is on the tapes to prove that you don’t have to rape or assault someone to be a reason someone kills themselves but Clay was just trying to respect her. She yelled at him to get out of the room and instead of pushing her, he did what he was told and in all honesty I don’t think that was wrong. I don’t know about you but I most definitely do not agree that Clay is the one who “killed” Hannah Baker.

10. Will Anything Change?

Do the kids learn their lesson from this or does the school continue to be a place of mean jocks and popular kids who think they’re better than everyone. And besides the show, do things change in real life? Are people finally going to realize that suicide is serious and that being kind is important or will they move on as if they never saw it. Being a decent human being could save someone’s life. I don’t know if things will change, but I pray they will before more we end up with more Hannah Bakers.