10 Powerful Remedies For Natural Healing

Treat everything from headaches to indigestion to acne--naturally.

52
Rodale Wellness

Before modern Western medicine was developed, people utilized various elements of nature in healing themselves. In the event of a headache, they were not able to immediately turn to ibuprofen, nor were they able to quickly down a handful of tums when they experienced heartburn. So what might people have done before the development of all the medicine we have today? They healed themselves in the best way they knew how--with the power of nature.

Although we do have a seemingly endless supply of medicines today, we can still heal some of our ailments through natural means. The power of natural healing has not dulled simply because of medical advancement, and in some cases, natural remedies may be even more effective. For instance, with natural healing, we don't have to worry about harmful side effects that often accompany some of the harsh chemicals in modern medicine. Furthermore, rather than simply treating symptoms, natural elements heal by purifying us from the inside out, perhaps ultimately resulting in a greater quality of life.

If you're interested in trying out some forgotten methods of curing everything from headaches to indigestion to acne, check out this list of things to eat, drink, and apply to your skin for natural healing.

1. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is at the top of the list for a reason--there are so many benefits to using it. It contains a great deal of essential fatty acids, and it has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that make it incredibly effective in preventing and treating a variety of ailments. Consume coconut oil to lower cholesterol (and prevent heart disease!), prevent and treat Alzheimer's, treat urinary tract infections, protect the liver, prevent and treat cancer, strengthen the immune system, improve brain function, reduce stomach ulcers, and fire up the metabolism (to help with weight loss). Apply coconut oil topically to treat burns, eczema, and psoriasis. It can also be used as a moisturizer and a hair conditioner, and when swished around the mouth (oil pulling), it can prevent gum disease and tooth decay.

2. Honey

Raw, organic honey is packed full of vitamins and minerals that make it ideal for treating many symptoms. Eat or drink honey to suppress a cough, lower cholesterol, treat an upset stomach, relieve allergy symptoms, strengthen the immune system, improve the quality of sleep, regulate blood sugar, aid digestion, and reduce inflammation. Apply honey topically as a moisturizer, eczema treatment, scar fader, acne treatment, and wart remover. Just make sure to rinse it off after applying it topically.

3. Ginger

Ginger is essential for consumption due to its many health benefits. Cooking with ginger or starting each morning with a cup of ginger tea helps significantly relieve indigestion, eases irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), reduces inflammation, prevents cancer, clears sinuses, prevents Alzheimer's, improves bad breath, boosts immune function, promotes clear and radiant skin, fights infection, treats migraines, and relieves menstrual cramps.

4. Cinnamon

Cinnamon is incredibly high in antioxidants, and it has been used for ages in healing. Use cinnamon to relieve allergy symptoms, treat acne, relieve digestive issues, ease cold and flu symptoms, and treat yeast infections. When looking for cinnamon, try to find ceylon cinnamon instead of cassia cinnamon, as the ceylon variety has benefits that are superior to those of the cassia variety.

5. Garlic

Not only is garlic absolutely delicious, but it is a potent healer and can be used as an antibiotic that may be even more effective than penicillin. Eat garlic to prevent blood clots, regulate blood sugar, prevent cancer, remove heavy metals from your system, possibly treat staph infections, and reduce yeast infections.

6. Chamomile

Due to its high levels of antioxidants, chamomile has been used for millennia to promote peace, youthfulness, and longevity. Drink chamomile tea to fight anxiety and depression, relieve PMS symptoms, relieve allergies, treat insomnia, ease muscle spasms, prevent cancer, improve digestion, and relieve pain due to inflammation.

7. Turmeric

With its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties, turmeric is an effective root for healing. It is used in many Indian foods. Consume turmeric to prevent cancer, boost the metabolism, purify the blood, heal stomach ulcers, improve digestion, improve skin conditions, help relieve coughs and asthma, strengthen ligaments, and slow the progression of Alzheimer's and Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

8. Lemon

Lemons are rich in vitamin C and are a powerful detoxifying agent. Squeeze lemon juice into a glass of water or use it in cooking to reap its benefits. Lemon aids in digestion and detoxification, improves skin quality, strengthens the immune system, and boosts energy and mood.

9. Lime

Another citrus with great healing properties, limes have a variety of uses. Ingest lime juice to heal oral ulcers, relieve congestion and nausea, prevent heart disease, regulate sugar absorption (in diabetics), prevent gout, and cure scurvy. It also neutralizes body odor and rejuvenates the skin, relieves constipation, protects the eyes, and can effectively disinfect cholera-contaminated water.

10. Rosemary

Rosemary possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic properties that are ideal for natural healing. Drink rosemary tea or cook with rosemary to prevent cancer, improve your mood, relieve headaches, boost the immune system, grow hair, freshen breath, de-bloat, relax muscles, and detoxify the liver.

This list is not comprehensive. There are countless herbs, fruits, vegetables, oils, roots, and spices that are powerful healers. We must remember this. It is not always necessary to immediately turn to Western medicine for treatments and cures, especially when the earth has already given us so many natural medicines. What's more, these natural remedies do not merely mask symptoms. They contribute to overall good health. Modern Western medicine is a gift and definitely has its place, but we cannot completely disregard the wonderfully natural means of healing that have been used for thousands of years.