10 People Who Were Sentenced More Jail Time Than Brock Turner

People have done a lot less, and gotten far worse punishment.

52
Domestic Shelters

Brock Turner faced up to 14 years for sexually assaulting a woman behind a dumpster. Prosecutes asked for six years, but the judge deemed that any more than six months would have too much of a "severe impact" on him (because apparently rape hurts rapists more than it does rape victims). Out of the six months sentenced, he has been released after three months for 'good behavior.' Listed below are some people who've either spent more time in jail, or at least were sentenced more time in jail, for their petty crimes.

1.Six Italian scientists for not predicting an earthquake.

Although predicting precise times and locations of earthquakes is not an exact science, the scientists were sentenced six years for not anticipating the L'Aquila earthquake. Three hundred people fell victim to this natural disaster, therefore the scientists were charged for involuntary manslaughter. An appeal is pending.

2. Homeless man gets 13 months for loitering.

Police would arrest homeless people for loitering in the 80s, at a time when it was completely legal. Some stayed incarcerated either because they couldn't afford bail, or they didn't show up to later court dates, according to Huntington Post. In 2012, the state of New York offered a 15 million settlement to the 22,000 arrested. However, now loitering is illegal in most places up to a 500 dollar fine for the first offense.

3. Soldier charged for having a gun.

Danny Nightingale was given a Glock 9MM from the Iraqi government as a trophy, and fully intended to unload it and keep as a souvenir. However, he gained many injuries from his time serving the British force, and forgot about it. Thus, he spent three weeks in jail until his appeal came through.

4. Gandhi...on several different occasions.

Gandhi was no stranger to jail and challenged oppressive, corrupt authority. He was arrested for civil disobedience March 18, 1922 in a nonviolent protest to resist the British Rowlatt Acts which allowed sedition without trial. He was sentenced six years, but was released after two years due to poor health.

5.Jesse Tafero for not committing murder.

This punishment is actually more severe than jail. He was suspected, along with two other people, of killing a state trooper. He and Sonia Jacobs were sentenced to death via electric chair due to the third conspirator's testimony in exchange for a life sentence. Two years later investigators confirmed there was not enough evidence to prove any of it was true.

6. Lance Saltzman for taking a gun from violent stepfather.

His stepfather had threatened his mother with a licensed gun, and had even fired it near her. The police came, but no files were charged. The next night, the same thing happened. Saltzman decided to sell the gun, and although he was sixteen, he was sentenced to life for burglary.

7. Nelson Mandela for sabotaging a corrupt government.

Mandela was sentenced a life time, but served 27 years for standing up against his government -- which enforced segregation and only allowed white people in government. It was called the policy of apartheid.

8. Timothy Jackson for stealing a $159 jacket.

For 19 years now, this man been in a Louisiana prison for stealing a jacket from a Maison Blanche store in New Orleans.

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/111213a-lwop-com...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/23-pet...

9. Tonya McDowell for sending child to school.

McDowell was homeless, but sent her son to the Norwalk School District nonetheless. Since she and her son were out of district, and forged a phony address, she was sentenced five years.

10. Antonio Bascaró for marijuana possession and transportation.

Now 80, Bascaro has been jailed for over 35 years for this nonviolent, first offense. He's dubbed as "The Nation’s Longest Serving Marijuana Prisoner." Luckily, he will be released in 2019.