10 Things To Know About People With Learning Disabilities

Not all people learn the same way.

714
Nathan Dumlao

Learning disabilities are no walk in the park, especially when it comes to people believing different things about them. I have an auditory processing disorder, which I was diagnosed when I was 4. This disorder affects the ability to understand speech, process what other people are saying, and trouble with distinguishing certain sounds. I don't process information as quickly as a normal person does.

I struggled with understanding certain speeches because my brain is slower and I always to process the correct information someone is giving me. For example, when I'm in class, I have trouble with processing a teacher's information because I spend more time on attempting to understand his or her words. I not only struggled with the disorder but with how my peers reacted as well. I also dealt with the issues of wondering whether I was going to succeed in school as well.

I'm a rising junior in college and I still need extra time on the tests, which actually works for me. Learning disabilities can be a pain, but they sometimes help. There are many people that assume things about learning disorders, but get wrong. Here are 10 things that you should know about learning disabilities:

1. Just because we have a learning disability doesn't mean we're stupid

Many people get this assumption wrong. Instead, we learn differently. We don't learn like everyone else does.

2. It doesn't mean we're lazy

People tend to mistake others us by calling them lazy. It is NOT the case. You can't assume that we're lazy and do not try hard enough because we have a learning disability. We just have brain-based issues, not motivational problems.

3. We learn differently, but it doesn't mean we can't learn

There are many different ways to learn. Not everyone learns like everybody else.

4. Even really smart people have learning disabilities

Yes, you read right correctly. Even smart have learning disabilities. Nobody is perfect. I believe that learning disabilities motivate us to step up and allow them to understand what they should do in order to achieve their own goals and not worry about learning like everybody else. Steven Spielberg, a legendary filmmaker, has dyslexia, Leonardo da Vinci showed signs of ADHD, and Albert Einstein had Asperger's syndrome. These men prove that it is possible to overcome a learning disability.

5. We have feelings, too

We struggle with disabilities, but it does not mean we do not have feelings. Judging us hurts our feelings because all we want to do is achieve goals for ourselves and work hard.

6. Learning disabilities are not the end of the world

When we discover we have a learning disability, the world is not going to suddenly crash and pull a 2012 hoax on us. We have to deal with it, figure out how we're going to succeed, and not listen to negativities.

7. Instead, they sometimes help us

Learning disabilities allow us to think about different ways to improve our learning, create strategies for success, and they can also narrow down to how we can perform measurably better in school, careers and in life.

8. We care

Some people take it personally when it comes to conversation. If a person is talking to me a really long time and it seems like I'm paying attention, I promise I am paying attention. What I really am doing is processing the information you're giving to me and thinking about your feelings.

9. Badgering isn't going to fix anything

It is not fair to get mad at people with learning disabilities. They cannot help having brain-based problems and being hard on them isn't going to help. You can't take it personally.

10. We just want acceptance

Acceptance is never too much to ask for. Enough said.