10 Things To Do When You Have Nothing To Do

Idle hands really are the Devil's play things.

12
google images

Summer is coming to a close and with it, the freedom to spend the days as we please. But all of that leisure can lead to one of the worst things in the world: boredom. You find yourself looking around wondering how you could be this bored. You’re so bored that you start to Google fun things to do and that is the lowest of the low. But Google no more: here is the perfect list to stave off that boredom and finish your summer off the right way. Because idle hands really are the devil's playthings.

1. Start A Novel

Nothing passes the time more than putting pen to paper -- or I guess it’s fingers to keyboard now. Even if you don’t like writing, take a stab at it. You never know what might come out. Maybe you’ll write the next Harry Potter or 50 Shades of Grey -- whatever works for you, I don’t judge.

2. Have A Dance Party

Invite your friends over and go crazy. Pump that music to an ear-splitting level and go nuts. The afternoon will fly by and you’ll probably get a little exercise in, so what could be better?

3. Invent Your Own Recipe

Everyone can follow a cookbook, but you who have all the time in the world can come up with something truly magnificent. You know what tastes good, so throw it together! What could go wrong? And even if you do blow something up, at least you’ll have a great story.

4. Learn To Knit

Knitting is one of the greatest mindless activities you will ever do. You could go on and on for hours and not even notice the clock. And the best part is you get a sweater in the end -- well if we’re being honest probably a slightly misshapen scarf, but you’ll get there.

5. Write, Direct, Produce, And Star In Your Own Movie

How hard could it be? Movies are made on phones now and you have a phone, so you’re halfway done right there. It could be the action movie you always wanted to see, equipped with car chases and crazy special effects (Michael Bay style). Or it could be the romantic comedy you always wanted to be a part of. I’m always on the lookout for a new Meg Ryan.

6. Clean Your Room

I know what you’re going to say -- that doesn’t sound like fun at all. Well, you’ve been pushing it off for weeks and there’s no time like the present. Don’t just clean, get crazy organized. Think of all the great stuff you could get from Target, all of those organizing boxes and those twinkly lights you always wanted.

7. Invent A New Board Game

Let’s just get something straight -- Monopoly is not that great. We’ve all been tricked into thinking that it is somehow the best game in the world when in reality it’s just a great way to lose friends and come away with a black eye. So here’s your chance to reinvent the board game like no one has before. The board game world is your oyster.

8. Paint A Picture

Go to the nearest craft store and get all the fixings cause you’re about to paint something that rivals Monet. Well, maybe not. But honestly, based on what the world is calling art right now, it may end up in a museum. And what better way to spend an afternoon than splattering your feelings on a blank canvas.

9. Treat Yourself

Whether it’s a spa day or a shopping spree or simply binging uninterrupted on the couch all day, you probably deserve it. Take a day to take care of you. As we learned from Parks and Recreation, “It’s the best day of the year!”

10. Do Something Crazy

Do that thing you always wanted to do but told yourself you never would. Go get that cartilage piercing (it won’t hurt that much I promise). Go skydiving! Just get out there and do it because summer is almost over and if not now, when?