10 New Years Resolutions that will Lead to a Happy and Healthy 2017

Here are some ways to make 2017 the year where you focus on staying mentally, emotionally, and physically healthy

14

Happy New Year! Here we are, one whole week into 2017. As everyone reflects on 2016 and how it was the best year or worst year ever, this is also the time where people think of new years resolutions. Everyone has something that they may want to fix or work on but lets face it, these resolutions last about two weeks until people forget or just don't have the time. Here are 10 new years resolutions that won't take a lot of time or effort, will lead to a happy, healthy year, and a better you.

1. Unfollow or unfriend negative people on social media.

This is always a hard thing to do, especially if you really cared about that person, but this will make things so much easier. Not having to see that person face to face and on social media will allow you to clear your head of all of that negative energy. The less time you spend on negative people, the more time you can spend on yourself and the positive people in your life.

2. Work out more

This one is tricky. This resolution usually lasts about two weeks before people just don't have the time. However, if you make the time you will not regret it. Working out allows you to feel good inside and outside, it gives you endorphin's which makes you happy, and it allows you to be social and meet new people at the same time. Even if it's done three times a week, it's better than nothing.

3. Make a change

When life gets busy we think more of ourselves and less of the people who don't have it as good. Taking some time out of your day or week to help someone else in need in any way possible will make a big difference. One change may seem small to you but to someone else it could be huge.

4. Try new things

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and try something you wouldn't normally try. Being open to trying new things gives you an open mindset and keeps you from never getting bored!

5. Declutter your life

Living in a mess is stressful. Start off the new year by decluttering everything from your house to your car, phone, computer etc. Being surrounded in a clean, organized environment will make it easier to get things done and you'll feel accomplished and less stressed throughout the year.

6. Get a good nights sleep

As a college student, I know this is easier said than done. I also know that with a good nights sleep, going through the day working or completing tasks seems a lot easier. The more rested you are, the more alert and focused you are. Things get done faster and with more accuracy and you have a better attitude throughout the day.

7. Eat healthy

Again, easier said than done, but 100% worth it. When life gets busy, people tend to not eat or to eat junk food. This leads to being overweight, having less energy, and having a bad attitude. Eating healthy and eating 3 meals a day with snacks allows you to stay healthy, happy, and energetic.

8. Don't gossip

In the end, gossiping hurts you and others. You can't help it when people around you gossip, but you can stop yourself from gossiping. Keep an open mind, don't judge anyone based on what you hear from others, and don't take part in spreading rumors. Karma will always come back to those who deserve it.

9. Stand up for what you believe in

Life is too short to be walked on or to be told your opinion doesn't matter. If you see or hear something you don't agree with say something in a polite manner with facts to back up your point of view. People can argue all day with opinions, but facts can't be argued with. Never give up on standing up for your beliefs or what's right.

10. Do things that challenge you

Find something in your life that challenges you and take it on. No one learned anything by taking the easy path. Overcoming obstacles and challenges allows you to become better at that specific thing and you become a stronger person. Be smart, responsible, and fearless.