10 Mistakes Everyone Makes in College

10 Mistakes Everyone Makes in College

Recognize any of these?

111
10 Mistakes Everyone Makes in College
unigo

Summer, as always, flew by so fast it nearly gave us all whiplash. Now, suddenly, we're facing a new semester of college, buying books and figuring out schedules. For returners, this is a time to make new goals, start fresh, and maybe reflect on the mistakes of the previous year. For freshman, maybe it's about the same-- only you're getting ready to make mistakes (or hoping desperately to avoid them). For returners' nostalgia and freshmen's awareness, here are some of the most common college mistakes:

1) Getting a crush on your cute professor (or TA)

Just. DO NOT.

2) Sleeping through a class

And it's always the most important, busy, and informational class of the semester.

3) Not studying until the night before your huge midterm

ROOKIE mistake. Depending on the subject and how well you've paid attention in class, you should start studying anywhere between four days and three weeks in advance. It sounds crazy, but it's better to be prepared.

4) Not joining any extracurriculars

Clubs and other extracurricular activities are an important part of campus life-- they're a great way to make friends you share interests with and engage in the greater campus community. You can even use them to figure out your future!

5) Not taking notes in (especially upper division classes)

Believe me, this is the move. You won't remember everything said in every class. Please. Take good notes.

6) Taking advantage of lax attendance policies

Taking every Monday off is AWESOME at the time, but come exam time, you'll know nothing and you'll freak out. Use your tuition wisely. Go to class.

7) Hooking up with someone you DEFINITELY shouldn't have

It happens sometimes. Sometimes, you're gonna have to do a not-so-prideful stride of pride.

8) Being passive-aggressive with your roommate

9) Not fostering a good relationship with your RA

Your RA is an amazing resource (and will probably let that non-threatening teeny-tiny alcohol violation slip if you guys are tight).

10) Not balancing work and play right

College is a great time to learn how to get this right-- figure it out now so you can sail smoother in the future.

And listen, if you've made these mistakes, or you make them in the future, it's not that big a deal. As long as you try your best and do your best to do right by yourself, college will be amazing! And who knows? Maybe that one night stand will turn into the love of your life, or getting a crush on the TA will help you focus on the material and ace the class, or some third example! Life is wild and unpredictable, college even more so-- just do your best :)