10 Life Lessons Learned From Harry Potter

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

112
Wikia

For someone much like myself, Harry Potter wasn't just a book series; it was everything. When Harry started at Hogwarts, many of us were in our earlier years of school, and the end of the book series came when many of us were finishing high school or college. We grew up with Harry Potter, and his stories developed alongside our own and live in us forever. It should come as no surprise that there were many life lessons learned while reading Harry Potter. Here are ten of the most important life lessons that can be taken away from the series that impacted our adolescent lives.

1. Our past doesn't define who we can become.

Harry's past wasn't ideal, but he didn't let that get in the way of his bravery. He powered through his situation and became a hero. Going from the boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs to a Hogwarts legend took hard work, but his past didn't define who he became. Neither did Ron's. Or Hermione's.

2. You don't always get to say goodbye to those you love.

Never be afraid to let those you love know how much they mean to you. Departures happen suddenly and you can never get those moments back.

3. No one is ever truly alone.

There is always someone pulling for you, whether you know they are there or not. In Harry's case, even though he felt incredibly alone in his cupboard under the stairs, there was always someone who kept him from being completely alone.

4. Best friends will always get you out of trouble and will get in trouble with you.

More times than not, our favorite trio was in a world of trouble. At the same time, they were getting each other out of trouble with bravery, wisdom, intelligence and courage. They always had each other's backs and refused to let one another down.

5. Age brings wisdom.

Always trust your elders. Whether it seems to be the case or not, they always want what is best for you. Dumbledore was chock full of infinite wisdom, obviously.

6. Never let anyone get the best of you.

No one likes a racist, a bigot or a jerk. We all knew the "mudblood" slur had racial implications. But we also know that those who showed themselves to be "pureblood" people discriminating against "mudbloods" often got what was coming for them.

7. Intelligence isn't always the most important thing.

Hermione was always doing research and always excelling in the classroom. The time-turner needed for her to have more hours in the day was proof of that. However, it was the bravery and the courage of Ron and Harry that often led them out places that Hermione's intelligence could not.

8. Listen to those who are often overlooked.

As odd as she seemed, Luna Lovegood often had the answer to everything that was going on around Hogwarts. Don't overlook those who are too timid to speak or who have a quiet personality. There is more to a person than meets the eye.

9. Sometimes it's okay to break the rules.

Rules were mean to be broken, right? Sometimes there is a time and a place to overlook the rules and guidelines for the greater good.

10. Magic exists inside everyone.

"It is important to remember that we all have magic inside us." -- J.K. Rowling