10 Reflections From My Third Year In College

Ok, where did the time go??

69
maxpixel

1. Practice

At the start of the fall, I decided to start a new path in Computer Science by taking intro to software development. If any of you have taken coding classes, they can be really tedious. Coding is like writing a massive essay, but one misspell or grammar error causes your essay to be completely invalid and wrong. Imagine spending nearly twenty hours a week on these types of essays.

Oh, this "beginner" coding class was online. The class had to practically teach themselves. Add four more classes and a part-time job and you get one stressful semester. As much as I hated the all-nighters, stress, and mental breakdowns, I learned a lot from that class. Not only did I get an A, my confidence in coding grew. Looking back, it was worth it. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it makes confidence.

2. Methods

Continuing on to the next coding class, algorithms and data structures (ADS), this one was A LOT different. This class wasn't online anymore. Rather, it was a normal lecture class with a lab section. My classmates from the online class during the fall semester and I were fairly confident in this one. After all, how hard could it get?

Of course, there were a lot of new concepts, and the exercises required a lot of thought and assistance from the professor and TAs. However, this time the class was a lot more mellow. It was a big adjustment- like going from 75 mph on the freeway to 25 mph on the exit. Teaching methods can really make the difference in how much one learns.

3. Neutrality

Recently, two of my friends in a group recently had a massive feud and now refuse to speak to each other. One of them, who we'll call Brian, told me as well as some of our mutual friends everything about his side of the feud. Brian had some pretty good points. Meanwhile, the other side, who we'll call Mark, refused to talk to anyone about his side until he made some comments online about it.

How does one handle a situation like this? I respect Brian and Mark very much. They're both good people. It's gone to a point where people are taking sides in this feud. For the sake of the group, I have to take a neutral stance. This feud is still continuing as I'm writing this article, so the learning process continues.

4. Burnout

Throughout 2017, I felt suspicious that I was going through some personal burnout with school and a lot of different jobs. For Spring 2018 semester, I decided to completely focus on school, and the semester turned out to be the best academic wise (final grades still pending).

This proves that I was indeed burning out. Nobody is built to last forever. We all have our limits and there will be times where we reach them, but in order to get stronger, we have to test our limits and break through them. That's why I do not regret burning out.

5. Work

Though I may have stopped working, I still have to look ahead towards my future. Failing to secure the PGA Tour internship last Summer was a devastating blow to my self-confidence, so finding an internship for the next Summer would be rather difficult. I was debating on whether or not to try again for the PGA Tour, but going through all of that anticipation and waiting.

Would it be worth it? Though if there is one thing I did learn from the PGA Tour, it's to always have a backup plan. Fortunately, one was not necessary. This year really stressed the importance of contacts and networking which resulted in securing my internship at an accounting firm called Raffa. Their employees are very nice people, so I have no regrets accepting their offer.

6. Initiative

One of the other big changes I had to make was to get an apartment which many of you know how tedious that can be. My entire Spring Break was dedicated to finding the best apartment for my roommate and me. It seems pretty odd, right? Spending an entire break figuring out something that won't happen for a few months? Taking initiative really paid off, I managed to secure a place before the prices went back up!

7. Competition

Competition always brings a lot of lessons, and I was lucky enough to compete on the golf course again after such a long time. Playing golf gave me the chance to breathe, relax, and just think about random things. It makes me wonder why I don't play more often especially since a portion of my personality is built on the golf course. Competing again reminded me of this. Never forget to make time for the things you truly enjoy which brings me to my next lesson.

8. Truthfulness

I spent a lot of time by myself during last few months. It was a lot easier to do with all the extra time I had. I got the chance to see many of my favorite music artists. Even though I decided to go alone, those we some of the best concerts I've been to. The feeling you get when you sing your favorite song while it's being played at a concert is a really good one. That's why it's important to remain close and faithful to yourself.

9. Change

It still baffles my mind that I am now a senior in college. A lot of things are changing and my career is starting to take shape. I'm meeting so many people and really diving deeper into my interests. Reflecting on the present reminds me of a crucial lesson I will always remember. Change is either good or bad. It depends on perspective.

10. Time

Ok, seriously where did the time go? It's Summer 2018. 2030 is twelve years away and 2006 was twelve years ago. I still remember a lot of the good times I had back then during those days, and by 2030, I will be a full-grown adult and hopefully, a father. My family is the reason I live the great life I have now, and my ultimate goal in life is to be in a position where I can give someone else that same great life. By 2030, I will know if that goal has been achieved. Thank you, Mom, Dad, and Kuya for putting me on the right path.