10 Internet Places To Make You Feel Better

Bookmark this

5019
Tumblr

It's a stressful time of the year. Whether it's finals, worrying about finding a job, being busy all the time, people, or sleep deprivation, a little motivation can always help. There are many things that might make you feel better: hanging out with friends, going on a short vacation, sleeping an entire day away without guilt. Unfortunately, we just might not have the time or resources for any of that now. After combing through the interwebs, I have compiled a short list of the perfect places on the internet for when you need a smile and some positive energy in your life. Each website also includes what it is best used for, as well as the predicted time that you will spend on it because, being in the midst of finals, I know how scarce time is right now. (Disclaimer: Animal websites may suck hours away from you, proceed with caution)

1. Nicest place on the Internet

Time commitment: 1+ minutes.
Best when you just need a hug.

This website is well-known, but a classic. The nicest place on the internet? A place where strangers give you as many hugs as you need. There's something so comforting about strangers embracing your screen that is sure to make you smile. Visit for one or ten hugs, no one's judging.

2. Calm Manatee

Time commitment: 5+ minutes.
Best when you need motivational talk from an unbiased manatee.

"I am a manatee, and I love you." This Tumblr is full of posts from the most lovable and motivational manatee on the planet. Some quick life advice? "When you are struggling, it is OK to scale back. Do one thing. Do two things. Do what you can. And please don’t beat yourself up for being human and having a bad day." Scroll through to get some general motivation before you get back on track. As a plus, you can also donate to save the manatees.

3. Emergency Compliment.

Time Commitment: virtually none.
Best when you need a little self-love.

Need a very quick pick-me-up, but don't have time to even make yourself a cup of coffee? This website gives you random compliments, take as many as you need. I've already learned that my parents argue about who I look like most and kids think that I'm that "cool old person," which makes me feel good enough about myself to power through my next class without wanting to punch someone.

4. Pixel Thoughts.

Time commitment: 60 seconds.
Best when you're frustrated.

OK, longer and more focused meditations would do wonders, but if you only have one minute, this website works wonders. You pinpoint one (or many) obstacles in your life and watch it become smaller and smaller, while just concentrating on breathing and taking a step back whatever that stressor is. It is the perfect place on the internet if you are feeling particularly frustrated or angry at anything.

5. Disgruntle Me.

Time commitment: 10+ minutes.
Best when you need to smile.

This website is perfect for when you have a quick coffee or tea break and need a noncommittal website that still makes you smile. Disgruntle Me has been "fixing disgruntled humans with cute gruntled animals since 2010." Basically it is a website full of cute animal photographs. What are you waiting for?

6. The Quiet Place Project.

Time commitment: 1 to 3 minutes.
Best when you need peace.

Between Odyssey online articles, your university's learning platform, email, and the many many social media platforms, the internet can be fun, hectic, productive, frustrating or all of these things at once. The quiet place is the place to go to take a few minutes and give yourself a break from all the headache and noise. The website urges you to turn off your music, silence your phone, and just relax for a few minutes. As a bonus, there is serene background music that you could play for as long as you want if you have it running while you're finishing up your homework right before it's deadline.

7. Here Is Today.

Time commitment: 60 seconds.
Best when today seems like the worst day that ever existed.

Here Is Today helps to put your day into perspective with a simple, but effective timeline. The colorful visual really reminds us that you can only take one day at a time, but one day is so short compared to the many years to come. Hang in there!

8. The Scale of the Universe.

Time commitment: 1 to 5 minutes.
Best when your problems seem too big to overcome.

Here is another website to put any problems you have into perspective, but instead of time, it focuses on size. When you don't have the time to lay outside on the beach and watch the stars at night to remind you how small you are, click here. The website allows you to scroll in and out of a detailed scale that starts smaller than an electron and expands larger than our galaxy. Besides making you feel better, it's also just a really cool online project.

9. Calm.

Time Commitment: 1+ minutes.
Best when you need to mindlessly stare at something tranquil and beautiful.

Everyone loves Rainymood, where you can listen to the lullaby of rain, but Calm allows you to choose other types of sound effects, white noise, and instrumentals (including rain!). You can watch a sunset on the beach, soar through clouds, and sit by a lake, or interchange between them as you wish. You can also learn about meditation and mindfulness through short audio clips, through their free seven days of calm classes. The website is great as background music, or if you need to space out for a bit -- been there.

10. Cute Things Fall Asleep.

Time commitment: 5+ minutes.
Best when you need that warm, fuzzy feeling.

There are bunnies, cats, dogs, cockatiels falling asleep that will make even the coldest of hearts melt. Warning: You may spend many hours scrolling through this website.

Still need motivation? Take a hot shower. Drink a glass of water. Force a smile. Reach out to a friend. Watch this. Or this. Or this.

Share below if you have any other videos or website that you use!