10 Inspiring Quotes from Contemporary Poets

Let your mind wander.

146
pexels.com

Some may consider poetry to be a dead and lost form of art. Alternatively, they may believe only historic poetry is worth reading and studying. I am not one of those people. Contemporary poetry especially, is an important medium through which people of the current generation and others can actively yet indirectly express their emotions and feelings. Here are my top quotes from modern poets who should be heard and understood on generational level:

1. ''she was music but he had his ears cut off.'' - Rupi Kaur

2. ''do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you.'' - Rupi Kaur

3. ''it was when I stopped searching for home within others and lifted the foundations of hoe within myself i found there were no roots more intimate than those between a mind and body that have decided to be whole.'' - Rupi Kaur

4. ''ah, life - the thing that happens to us while we're off somewhere else blowing on dandelions & wishing ourselves into the pages of our favourite fairy tales.'' - Amanda Lovelace

5. ''the only thing required to be a woman is to identify as one.'' - Amanda Lovelace

6. ''where you are. is not who you are. - circumstances.'' - Nayyirah Waheed

7. ''lying is the work of people who are told their truths have no value. The labour of survival is laden with myth and understanding. Silence is the work of people who can't comprehend that change is possible.'' - Amber Dawn.

8. ''the kindest words my father said to me women like you drown oceans.'' - Rupi Kaur

9. ''politeness has become so rare that people mistake it for flirtation.'' - unknown

10. ''if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.'' - Desmond Tutu