10 Healthy Fall Activities

10 Healthy Fall Activities

The weather has finally cooled down, so I don't start sweating as soon as I take a step outside, but it's not so cold that I feel the need to run back inside and snuggle up in a blanket.

283
10 Healthy Fall Activities

Autumn is my favorite season. I love the crisp air, the colorful leaves, the warm sweaters, the delicious flavors...you name it. And I especially love getting outdoors in the Fall. The weather has finally cooled down, so I don't start sweating as soon as I take a step outside, but it's not so cold that I feel the need to run back inside and snuggle up in a blanket.

Fall is the perfect season to get outdoors and be active. Remember that new year's resolution you made months ago? There's still time to get it done before the holidays hit once again. So here are 10 healthy activities to kick-start your fitness and nutrition program.

1. Go pumpkin or apple picking.

Walk around an orchard or pumpkin patch and pick some healthy fresh produce while you're there! There's plenty of healthy recipes online to make with these fresh fruits and vegetables, and you get some exercise while having fun.

2. Play football.

It's the sport of the season, but instead of watching the professionals on your TV, get out and throw the ball with some friends. It's a fun way to pass the time and get your heart pumping.

3. Go for a hike.

Enjoy the gorgeous weather and admire the beautiful leaves with a colorful forest trail. Invite friends to go with you, listen to some music, or just enjoy the sights and sounds.

4. Visit a corn maze.

Put on some walking shoes and enjoy a fun corn maze. It works your brain and your body!

5. Rake leaves.

This isn't necessarily the most enjoyable activity, but it's a great way to get active and cross something off your to-do list. reward yourself with some hot chai tea when you're finished!

6. Go horseback riding.

This is fun any time of the year, but the trails are especially beautiful during this season.

7. Make chili.

Chili is a protein-filled dish and super delicious! Add your favorite types of beans, tomatoes, some ground meat of your choice, and some veggies and you have a comforting, warm meal for those chilly Fall evenings.

8. Add pumpkin puree to your favorite recipes.

Pumpkin is really healthy for you. Not only is it high in fiber, it can also help lower blood pressure, help you sleep better, improve your vision, reduce LDL cholesterol, and help you to have healthy skin. It's a miracle vegetable, and for your convenience, it comes in a can!

9. Run or walk a 5K.

Many runners think of Fall as the perfect running weather to improve those race times - not too hot, not too cold, and beautiful scenery to keep you motivated. Needless to say, there are plenty of races during this season. Search for 5Ks happening around you. If you can't find any, start one! Raise funds for a cause that matters to you. Help yourself while you help someone else!

10. Cook with cinnamon.

This is a necessary fall flavor, and it comes with lots of benefits, too. Cinnamon has been used in holistic medicine for thousands of years, and now it's sitting right in your pantry! Full of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting properties, it's the perfect way to add flavor and protect your body, too.

Most importantly, enjoy the season. Get outdoors, spend time with friends and family, and have fun. The cold of winter always seems to come too soon, so enjoy the beautiful Fall weather while it's here!