10 Hacks For Surviving Dead Week And Finals

This too shall pass.

20
UPMC

Ahh, yes "it's the most wonderful time of the year" — HA, said no college student ever. Sadly, college Christmas lovers everywhere must suppress their holiday joy until the end of the most trying weeks of the semester. When faced with a disgusting load ahead, how will you choose to approach it? Sure, you could try to avoid what's at hand and take the constant punches to the gut from disastrous grades. Or, you could try the "fake it til you make it," "pain is temporary, GPA is forever" approach (a personal favorite). As Dead Week and Finals Week approach you full speed ahead, here are a few tactics you can employ to conquer the evil beasts. At the end of it, you might just emerge with both your sanity and GPA intact.

1. Make killer playlists you'll be excited to listen to.

If you're going to be working anyway, you might as well enjoy what you're listening to. Plus, the time will go by much quicker when you can't get enough of each song.

2. Find new places to study.

Change it up! Don't bore yourself with the same scenery every day. Try out new study spots on campus or venture out to cafes and lounges off campus.

3. Buy your favorite snacks.

Hey, any way to make your long work and study sessions better, right? Load up on your absolute favorites to give yourself something to look forward to.

4. Work or study with friends.

Strength in numbers! That is, if you can study with your friends. Grab a group that will make your days more enjoyable, can help explain topics, and might even be down to split up the study guides/work, Just pick your study friends wisely ...

5. Reward yourself.

Best way to motivate yourself? Set rewards! You finished a big paper? You've earned a 20 minute Parks and Rec episode. Made a big dent in your work for the day? Take a breather. Tell yourself when you've finished a goal, you'll get a reward of your choosing. Works every time.

6. Set designated leisure time.

You're going to go crazy if you don't do anything for yourself for two weeks straight. Block off at least a small chunk of time each day that is a strict "no-school, no-work" time. By being unproductive for a small amount of time, you are actually refocusing yourself so you'll be productive when you hit the books again.

7. Place competitive bets with friends or classmates.

A little incentive never hurt anyone. Who's up for a little friendly bet? The person who gets the best grade gets the big bucks.

8. Treat yo self.

We all know it's just a rough couple of weeks. It's all about the long game at this point. With all the stress and fatigue, it's important to do little things to lift your spirits and keep you determined. So indulge in that favorite dessert of yours, take the nap when you can spare it, and order that second pizza of the week. YOU DESERVE IT!

9. Destroy the unnecessary stuff.

Looking to blow off a little steam? Before or after your tests, throw away all the absolutely unnecessary, never-gonna-need, goodbye-good-riddance materials. Just make sure you won't be needing whatever you toss in the fire ...

10. Celebrate!

IT'S OVER! IT'S DONE! HALLELUJAH! ALERT THE PRESS! SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS! YOU SURVIVED! Once again, you have no idea how you made it through and actually completed the crazy amount of work that seemed impossible. But you did it! Run to your friends, your significant other, your family, your roommate, your classmate, your unfortunate stranger who just happened to cross your overwhelmingly happy path and celebrate because YOU ARE FREE!