I know June is not the typical time to talk about goals or goal-setting, but for many students, it is the perfect time to evaluate how the school year went. Personally, I like to use the summer as a time to set some goals that are not school-focused. I also find the summer as the perfect time to make changes because it feels like there isn't as much "at stake."

This summer, I have several goals ranging from organization to finding and using creative outlets.

1. Start writing a book.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

I don't know how long I have wanted to write a book, but it has been a goal of mine from an early age. I have never really made it a priority, but I have started writing down plot lines and character descriptions. By the end of the summer, I want to have a solid idea of the plot and characters so I can start writing.

2. Eat fruits and vegetables.

Photo by amoon ra on Unsplash

There are very few things I love more than fresh watermelon on a hot day during the summer. There is something so refreshing about eat fresh fruit and vegetables while it is hot outside. I am also excited to try cooking new fruits and vegetables at home.

3. Get up before 8 am each morning.

Photo by Adrien Robert on Unsplash

In North Carolina and across the United States, morning light comes bright and early during the summer. Many people take advantage of this by walking their dogs or exercising. I want to start my days earlier to be able to accomplish more tasks throughout the week.

4. Hang out with my friends.

Hanging out with friends can be an excellent way to decompress.

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

During the school year, my friends and I are spread across the country. Between Tennessee and Georgia, there are many friends I don't get to see often. I am looking forward to catching up with them at the pool or around a campfire this summer.

5. Try some new exercises.

Yoga is an awesome way to exercise.

Image by Jenia Nebolsina from Pixabay

I will admit I sort of got stuck in an exercise routine last semester. I think most people are guilty of finding an exercise routine that fits their schedule and sticking to it. This summer, I want to try some new exercises to change up the routine.

6. Learn how to make clay polymer jewelry.

Polymer clay is a great creative avenue.

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

Recently, I have stumbled upon YouTube videos about making polymer clay crafts. I want to learn how to make polymer clay earrings as a way to be creative. Summer gives me the time to be creative and learn new skills that I don't have time for during the school year.

7. Improve my photography skills.

iPhone photography has become an art during the last few years.

Photo by Ian Robinson on Unsplash

Although I have a Nikon camera with lots of attachments, I take most of my pictures on my iPhone while I am out and about. This summer, I want to spend time improving my photography skills with both my phone and my camera.

8. Reorganize my room at home.

An organized room is an organized life.

Photo by Shanna Camilleri on Unsplash

One of the side effects of me going to college was my room basically exploding. Between trying to decide if I needed a fifth blanket or a stapler, every item in my room became disorganized rather quickly. Over the summer, I want to rearrange my room so I can find things when I need them.

9. Sort the things from college.

All the things I brought home from college have to find a home for the summer.

Photo by energepic.com from Pexels

Last August, I took way too much stuff to college. Word of advice - you don't need five blankets, eight sweatshirts, and four plates. In May, I brought all those things home. This summer, I need to find a way to organize them so they can head back to Raleigh in August.

10. Write down good things each day.

Keep track of good things makes you focus on them.

Photo by energepic.com from Pexels

By documenting good things each day, you are making yourself think about the good things. Good thoughts are good for your mental and physical health. What other reason would you need to keep track of them?