10 Game Day Traditions Every Virginia Tech Student Understands

The most wonderful time of the year.

2013
hokiesports.com

The countdown has begun.

My fellow Hokies and college sports fans, football season is upon us. Beautiful weather, huge tailgates, alumni coming to visit, packed stadiums, and great food are all the little pieces that make for the best time of the year.

Virginia Tech is among one of the top schools to experience game day and anyone who loves the Hokies always holds a special place in their heart for football. Some of the best things on this list only students past and present can truly understand.

1. Two words: Center Street.

The place that everyone knows but no one will say out loud. From the rooftops to the yards, there is not a single patch of grass that isn't covered with people. And let's not forget the uhm, assorted beverages.

2. Maroon & Orange never fade.

If you aren't wearing these (unless it's white out) on VT game day, then you're doing it wrong. From shirts, to dresses, hats, and sunglasses these colors run like blood here.

3. Hearing Enter Sandman begin to play.

Where to even begin. This is our anthem and once it starts be prepared to lose your mind. Every year we are on numerous top 10 lists for best college football entrance and Lane Stadium was once considered a dangerous place to be when this song played. Yeah, it's that real.

4. Spotting the Hokie Bird.

If the game isn't already the best part then seeing this guy is. The ultimate goal if he is ever in the stands is to get that picture. The Bird is love. The Bird is life.

5. The Key Play.

One of the many proud traditions. At the beginning of any third-down offensive play, grab the nearest keys you can find and shake and shout as loud as you can. The keys don't even have to be your own. Just grab em.

6. Thursday night games.

If there's one thing better than a Saturday afternoon game it's one that's Thursday at night. Seeing the fireworks and having the lights on makes you feel some type of way.

7. When you beat UVA...again.

Is this even news anymore? We know who runs this state and we like to show everyone year after year, just so they don't forget. The Cup is staying with us.

8. Seeing the alumni come into town.

Just graduated or graduated 30+ years ago, you know it's game day when you see parents and young children come to see the Hokies play. The alumni carry the spirit of Tech with them and prove they can still go just as hard as they did in college.

9. When you want to enjoy your turkey leg but the Hokies are down by twelve with only two minutes to go.

No team wins every game and unfortunately this applies to the Hokies too. Win or lose we'll always support them.

10. When you just can't get enough of football season.

Seriously, nothing can compare.