10 Do's and Don'ts of College

10 Do's and Don'ts of College

A guide to making it through the gauntlet of College
6

1) Do go out and meet new people. Enjoy yourself in a responsible way because come exam time you're going to be stressed. College can be stressful, its inevitable. Finding somewhat responsible ways to unwind is very important to surviving four years.

2) Don't lose your motivation because you finally have freedom. There are many things, people, and events that happen along the course of college that are tempting. Do it if you want, but don't forget the real reason you're in College: To learn and further your education, discover who you really are, and to become a better person.

3) Do remove yourself from your social comfort zone. Getting out and doing new things with new people is what college is supposed to be about. You would be surprised some of the great people you will meet along the way if you simply open yourself up.

4) Don't lose your sense of worth among the masses of people. Find a good group of people and hold on to them. These will be some of your best friends, and they are there to help. You are not just another face in the crowd.

5) Do skip class every once in a while. You need to take a day, not move, watch Netflix, and eat pizza occasionally. Having you time is important for your mind to unwind. And, to be honest, once you graduate this isn't very socially acceptable anymore.

6) Don't skip so much class that you get behind. It is tempting, we all know this. But, you will be much better off in the long run if you keep absences to a minimum. When you realize how much work you still have to do towards the end of the semester, on top of studying for exams, you will regret it.

7) Do take random road trips on random weekends. College is a time in your life when you actually have the opportunity to go wherever you want and do basically what you want. This does not last in most cases. Enjoy it while you have the opportunity.

8) Don't quit talking to your family. Regardless of what has happened in the past, having a good relationship with your parents during college is crucial. Sometimes you mess up, sometimes you need help, and sometimes you just need a shoulder to cry on. Family is always there and they are a great resource.

9) Do what you really want to do. Don't let what other people say effect what you do with your life. In the end, you will only be happy doing something that you love. Go after what makes you happy.

10) Don't lose yourself along the way. College is a great time, but it will also beat you down at times. Don't ever let those around you change who you really are at the core.