10 Disney Facts And Updates Every Mouseketeer Should Know

Fun facts and recent news about the world's most magical place!

218

A megacorporation unlike any other, the Walt Disney Company is a behemoth that started with a mouse. Standing with visionaries like Howard Hughes and Albert Einstein, Walt Disney was ahead of his time and possibly still ahead of ours.

Today, his company has an iron in every fire there is – merchandising, entertainment, film, engineering, media, sports, etc. – but when we think Disney, we think theme parks. Granted, Disneyland in California is the OG park (surrounded by tasteless neon lights, cheap eateries, and the hubbub of coattail-riders), but Walt’s baby is the globally popular Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando (a place unto itself).

The Magic Kingdom opened October 1, 1971, kicking off the start of the Walt Disney World Resort along with its adjacent lodging: the Contemporary, the Polynesian, and the Fort Wilderness. It was a grand opening led by Roy Disney, but it was missing someone. Walt. Sadly, he had passed away in 1966 and never saw his dreams realized.

His vision and magic have been preserved and grown throughout the years by diehard fans. Whether we are obsessed with Walt’s story, the parks, the movies, or the memories, us Disney-addicts never miss an opportunity to bring up some mouse-talk. If you love Disney or are thinking about loving Disney, here’s a few titillating facts and recent updates to fuel that fire…erm, I mean fuel that pixie dust.

• NEW Transportation is En Route
  • WDW was Originally Committed to St. Louis, Missouri
  • 200 Acres of Dirt Created a Lagoon and Magic Kingdom Main Floor
  • Walt Picked Orlando from an Airplane
  • Best Friends Pet Care is a Resort for Guests’ Pets
  • Epcot’s World Fellowship Fountain Features 23 Countries
  • Safe-D Begins with Me
  • The Animal Kingdom Features 1,000 Animals and…a New-Born Hippo
  • “I Am Not a Crook” Speech was Given at the Contemporary
  • One Ride Produces 30 Tons of Food Annually

1. NEW Transportation is En Route

In response to the growing number of private vehicles – responsible for 73% of air pollution in urban areas like Disney – and the toxins they expel, Disney is updating their monorails and adding site-wide gondolas. The monorail replacement has been confirmed, and the gondola support system is already being erected.

2. WDW was Originally Committed to St. Louis, Missouri

Before Orlando was chosen, Walt had already struck verbal agreements with the city of St. Louis. Between being a transportation conversion point and a city of entertainment, it was a great place to create the east side Disney. However, an offending remark made to Walt during a dinner party the night before signing an official letter of commitment changed everything. Gussie Busch, a St. Louis good ole’ boy claimed, “Any man who thinks he can design an attraction that is going to be a success in this city and not serve beer or liquor ought to have his head examined.” You see, Walt wanted his park to be dry and hated being publicly challenged. The next day he got on his plane and flew back to California; never to reconsider St. Louis.

3. 200 Acres of Dirt Created a Lagoon and Magic Kingdom Main Floor

General Potter was the president of Reedy Creek Improvement District, a Disney employee, and Walt’s go-to for utility and infrastructure construction. One of the many impressive feats he accomplished was digging a 200-acre lagoon which guests would be ferried over and using the excavated dirt to create a second floor upon which the Magic Kingdom would be built. He also completed this task in 16 months.

4. Walt Picked Orlando from an Airplane

Since Gussie Busch singlehandedly stopped the WDW St. Louis location from happening, a new location had to be chosen. Walt secretly searched along the east and mid-east for potential locations, preferring the more southern region for it’s more stable weather. Shutting down due to cold weather was a game-breaker; WDW was going to be open 24/7, 365 days a year. It was when traveling from Tampa to Orlando that Walt pointed out of the airplane window at a patch of Orlando land and said, “That’s it.”

5. Best Friends Pet Care is a Resort for Guests’ Pets

Across from the Port Orleans Resort is the Best Friends Pet Care, a beautiful and trustworthy facility that can take care of your dog while you vacation. More and more people are choosing to travel with their animals, preferring to have them part of the experience or close by instead of shutting them in a kennel. With 17,000 square feet of space indoors, 10,000 sq ft of outdoor space, and a 25,000 sq ft dog park, it can handle any pupper and give them their own magical vacation.

6. Epcot’s World Fellowship Fountain Features 23 Countries

Epcot opened in 1982 as both a theme park and a commitment to global peace. Henry Kissinger even stated in the newspaper that it would enhance world peace – a major claim. When it opened, Walt’s wife Lillian led the ceremony which featured the World Fellowship Fountain and its impressive dancing water set to music. Although 11 countries are currently represented in the World Showcase, representatives from 23 countries were present for the opening. During the ceremony, they poured water from their country into the fountain to symbolize togetherness.

7. Safe-D Begins with Me

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration Law states that it is the employer’s responsibility to provide a safe workplace for employees. Sparing no expense per usual, Disney World established a progressive and comprehensive safety committee who, in turn, created the Safe-D protocol. A handbook that all cast members are given and guided through in order to protect themselves and the guests. What are the four base principles in order? Safety

, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency.

8. The Animal Kingdom Features 1,000 Animals and…a New-Born Hippo

One of the most daunting theme parks ever created by Disney due to it’s size and features, Animal Kingdom provides guests the opportunity to intimately observe animals that they may never have the opportunity to see. In fact, guests have the opportunity to welcome the most adorable animal newborns into the park, such as: Lilly the Gorilla, a rare white rhino, a Masai Giraffe, and the newest addition – Augustus the Hippo.

9. “I Am Not a Crook” Speech was Given at the Contemporary

On November 17, 1973, President Richard Nixon infamously stated, “I am not a crook,” during a televised speech. Although Disney fans might not care about that so much, they will be fascinated to hear that this speech was at the Disney’s Contemporary Resort. It is a well-known convention that still hosts company meetings, fundraisers, VIPs, and workshops, but none may ever top Nixon’s hourlong defense that changed American politics.

10. One Ride Produces 30 Tons of Food Annually

One of my favorite rides, Living with the Land is a boat-tour of Epcot’s innovative and usable multi-purpose horticultural facility. Aside from the educational and wonderful the 15-minute boat ride where we can relax our tired tootsies, the actual facility is working to grow and harvest roughly 150 lbs of food per day! From fish and alligators to exotic vegetables and 9 lb. lemons, the greenhouses and farms produce most of the food that is later served fresh to hungry guests throughout the entire Walt Disney World area.