These Are The 10 Best Cups Of Coffee You Can Find In Richmond, VA

Get a good cuppa!

197

You are running, rushing, and almost tripping across loose bricks. You need enough time to get your coffee before this class. If you don’t, you will fall asleep in class and not get proper notes. Then there goes your GPA, scholarships and your sanity. This coffee has your life depending on it. So why get something cheap and unfulfilling? Do you want your future balanced on a $1 McDonalds coffee? I didn’t think so. I am happy to inform you that I have done the research for you! I trekked far and wide across VCU’s empire and tasted some of the best cups of coffee you can find in Richmond. I ordered two coffees on my journey: a mocha latte, which is my least favorite coffee and a chai tea latte which is my favorite (and also technically a tea latte which should shake some things up.) I figured that in order to get a correct gauge, I had to try what I want and what I don’t. Follow me!

(These are in order of least worth it to most worth it, 10 being the best.)

1. POD

Dining Dollars! We all want to use them so why not for coffee? If you have a class near Harris Hall or live very close to the Commons this could be your spot. It’s a self-service, you guessed it, canister coffee. I would definitely say this is in the same realm as Einstein's and Shafer with quality but I believe that both taste better than POD. You can add as much sugar or cream as you’d like but beware, diary-free friends, there is no soymilk here for you.

2. Dunkin Donuts

This is a classic cup of Joe. I’m sure at some point in your life you’ve had a refreshment from Dunkin Donuts, whether it be the coffee or donuts. I am originally from the great city of Boston so I am very picky about my Dunkinuts. I have been spoiled to the max by true New England breweries so going into a Virginia Dunkin was definitely a failure waiting to happen. I ordered the mocha, took one sip and threw it out. It is not my favorite type of coffee, so I knew I wouldn’t enjoy it and didn’t want to have the extra caffeine intake. This is all very scientific of course. The Dunkin did not have chai tea lattes when I went in so I ordered a brewed coffee with sugar and cream. It is better coffee than from the canister and worth more, but you are also using real people money and not any type of dining plan, so the worth of it is weighed much more heavily. I did not enjoy it but I have in the past. I suggest it if you are looking for a fast cup of coffee if you don’t have a dining plan.

3. Einstein

One word: swipes. If you're a student who uses a meal plan, this shop could be your saving grace. When you order a bagel, you are automatically offered a fountain drink or coffee. Because on swipes you can only get the crappy canister coffee, I was unable to buy a mocha and a chai tea. I went for the medium roast because that is just my go-to. This is coffee that is very much average. You probably won’t particularly enjoy it, but you won’t hate it. It was very watery, and without sugar and creme is was just bean water. If you need coffee and only have swipes this is the perfect place for you. Just don’t go to Einstein's in hope of getting some quality caffeine.

4. Shafer Dining Hall

Once again, swipes are what put this puppy on the list. It is also canister coffee with very little of that good caffeine taste. There is definitely one plus to it for those who are dairy-free: you can put some of the almond or soy milk from the cereal section into your coffee instead of creamer! This is the only place on campus other than Starbucks where you can get a soy coffee so drink up. Another great thing about Shafer coffee is that you can get unlimited cups while you are in the building. You could sit there for hours and drink 5 cups of coffee on one swipe. This is also just a sit-down location and not for quick coffee, though it may taste like it.

5. Starbucks

Oh yes, the classic Starbucks. If you haven’t had it, you’ve heard of it. I decided to visit the Cabell Library Starbucks as this seemed the most likely spot for students in a rush for some covfefe. I once again ordered one mocha latte and one chai tea latte. The first mocha I ever drank was actually at a Starbucks so I had an idea of what I was getting myself into. It was bitter, gross and honestly, a little cold. I am used to Starbucks being a steamy cup of on-the-go but the mocha was lukewarm and viscous. The chai tea latte was a different story, it was warm, inviting and felt like home. I may have sat enjoying this cup way too long. The only downsides to this location are the queue line being longer than my attention span, and the fact that the coffee just doesn’t feel as genuine as if you bought it from a local shop. The flavors are duller, the coffee is more rushed and less love is poured into your cup. I suggest Starbucks if you are late to class and NEED that extra pick-me-up. It is located in the compass so it is fairly easy to access for everyone.

6. The Lab by Alchemy Coffee

When you first walk in, you are greeted with a very open layout which is automatically inviting. I ordered a mocha and a chai tea latte, which they offered to make ‘dirty’ by adding a shot espresso. How could I say no to that? I actually enjoyed the mocha! It was very chocolatey and sweet enough. It was still bitter but I drank every bit which was crazy for me. The chai latte was amazing as well, but I think it had a little bit too much spice in it which kind of offset the warm latte taste. This place is great for sitting down and enjoying the open sunlight in the building. Another great place for a first date.

7. Rostov Coffee and Tea

This is the place of loose tea leaves and coffee beans. Right when you open the door, you are greeted with tons of bags of coffee beans and a heavy aroma that will wake you up just from the smell. Their adorable coffee bar was able to let me taste test the different types available in the store. I tried their chocolate raspberry coffee (which was the closest to mocha) and just one sip was so refreshing. I decided to go with a legitimate chai tea because I was after all in a coffee AND tea shop. I highly suggest this if you are looking to bring some beans back to your house and brew it there. Definitely a fantastic place for a cuppa.

8. 10 Italian Cafe

I actually stumbled into this place the first time I came to Richmond. It seemed cute and was across the street from the Watermelon festival. I am very allergic to watermelon and had to find a place to hide out until my college tour so I went in here. It was nice to come back when it wasn’t out of necessity. I ordered a mocha and a chai tea latte. This coffee is to die for. It is strong, sweet and so fulfilling. I enjoyed the mocha which seems to be the marker for a good coffee spot for me. The latte was decorated with a lovely flower pattern and the mocha had a nice leaf shape. I very enjoyed this place. It had an outdoor seating area right in the sunlight where you could sip some coffee and relax. I highly suggest this place for studying, first dates or just relaxing after a tough day.

9. Sugar Shack

This place was adorable. The minute I saw my mocha coming I could see the toppling stack of whipped cream. Honestly, the mocha tasted more like hot chocolate than coffee although I was assured that it had espresso in it. The chai tea latte actually tasted like chai which was interesting. Usually, I am overpowered by the cinnamon added but I could taste every bit of that tea flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was super awake in less than an hour. This place is the perfect to-go and also the perfect sit down. Make sure to order some donuts while you are at it because some of them looked wild (and tasty!)

10. Lamplighter

This shop was by far the most recommended by students. There are three locations you can choose from, but the closest to VCU is the quaint Morris Street cafe. When you walk in there is a calm ambiance accompanied by the strong smell of coffee beans. I sat at a little table. The chai tea latte was smooth and the perfect temperature. It had just enough spice and could clear out my sinuses in one smell. The mocha was, of course, mocha, which I don’t enjoy. The bitter cocoa doesn’t agree with my taste buds, however, compared to the regular mocha I have tried, this was definitely sweeter and more cozy of a cup. After about an hour, I was completely awake so their coffee is definitely strong and caffeinated. I suggest this as a first date but not for on-the-go coffee. This is definitely meant for a sit-down experience.