10 Confessions Of A Long Term Nanny

10 Confessions Of A Long Term Nanny

It's not all diapers and crying.

44
10 Confessions Of A Long Term Nanny
Tumblr

Whenever I mention the fact that I'm a nanny to others, they always react the same way. If it is someone younger, they start to talk about how hard it must be to work with children and how much they don't like children. If it is someone older, and with a child, they look at me like a golden ticket to free babysitting. Well, I am a nanny and there are some things you should know.

1. Yes, I see a whole lot of poop.

But it isn't as bad as you think. Changing diapers is not terrible, most of the time you don't even touch anything. Calm down, it isn't that bad. You just change the diaper and get on with it.

2. I also see a lot of screaming.

After a while you turn it off completely. Children scream because they need something. Either you give it to them and they stop, or you don't and they will also eventually stop. Crying and screaming is the only way these tiny humans know how to express what they are feeling. Sometimes, especially for babies, new experiences are really hard. To a baby who can't sleep because of hiccups it is the end of the world, and they can't understand what is going on or how to stop it.

3. Being a Nanny doesn't mean that I want to settle down and have kids.

If anything this job makes you not want to have kids. I get to see the reality of children every single day, and this makes me feel more wary about having a family. Taking care of kids is a huge commitment. There is a lot of money and time that goes with having kids. Yes, eventually I do want a family, but I also want to be 22 and have a little fun before then.

4. I do not under any circumstance, work for free.

Also I don't do free labor. This is how I make a living, so no matter how cute your kids are I am not watching them for free. Also I'm expensive. I am CPR/AR and first aid certified. I have about five years of experience, and great references. I take baby classes. I get paid quite a bit, and I work hard for that money. So no I will never ever watch your children for less then what I deserve. EVER

5. I get to do all kids activities without judgement.

Have you ever wanted to go to a children's museum? Or draw with chalk? Or pretend to be dinosaurs at a park? Well usually if a 21-year-old did that they would look weird and creepy, but I can do it anytime I want.

6. I never have to grow up.

I get to re-live my childhood every day. I get to play princess, spies, monsters, and whatever else. Being ridiculous and silly is a part of my job description and I love it.

7. This is not a normal job in the sense that I can't just take sick days or long vacations. I also don't work for free.

If I take a sick day then the parents have to take a sick day. Hours are also never set. Sometimes the parents get stuck at work, or need another hour. So to become a nanny you need to be very dependable, and flexible. This isn't like another job where you leave because it is your time off, if I leave then a three-year-old and an infant are left alone.

8. Nap time is the best time.

Sleep is really important to tiny humans. Making noise during nap time will make me incredibly angry. Getting them to sleep takes forever, and if you wake them up they won't go back to bed. Today I spent an hour walking around rocking an infant, until she finally fell asleep, then someone rang the door bell. Please do not ruin this important sleep time for me or the child.

9. Seeing the kids grow over time is one of the best parts.

I nannied a girl who was five-years-old. When I first started nannying her she believed that she would never be as smart as her brothers. She wouldn't pick up a book or get excited about learning. When we did read she struggled through every page. I had to help her with most of the words. When I left about two years later she couldn't put books down, and if I tried to help her read she would get mad at me. To have that kind of impact on someone's life is really amazing. Being a nanny is the opportunity to help kids do something more, and to help them believe that they are something more.

10. I always end up loving the kids.

It's hard not to. When you spend that much time with these tiny humans you can't help but make a connection. I am still in contact with most of the families I have worked for. Being a nanny is a lot like becoming a part of the family. You eat with them, you play with them, you go through big things with them. It becomes more then a job.